Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 3HM35F Oil Capacity

Changing my oil. Stated capacity in my service manual is 5.7 quarts. I just extracted 4 quarts using a vacuum extractor. I pushed the extractor tube straight into the dipstick tube until it hit bottom. Before the change the oil was right between the two lines on the dipstick.

Are there still 1.7 quarts in there? If so, any idea how to get to them?

The manual says to add 5.7 quarts at this point, but I don't think I will be doing that.....
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Did you change the filter, too?

Presumably that 5.7 qt capacity includes the filter. I like to drain the filter into the used-oil container so I can get a better idea of what was extracted from the engine. Still, there's always less than the rated capacity, even though the dipstick registers full.

You can't get it all out. But I'd think you'd have a smaller discrepancy than 1.7 quarts, even if you didn't change the filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-10-2010
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
I did change the filter, and did not mesure that, but I do not think that could account for more than a pint.

However after the oil change and running it for 5 minutes, the oil looks pretty clear still, so I guess I got most of it. Maybe .7 quart from the filter and oil in the engine and the other quart because it was halfway between the two lines on the dipstick?
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 05-11-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Sounds about right. Down a pint to begin with, a half pint in the filter, and maybe a pint that just can't be extracted. That gets you pretty close.

If you're topped off and it looks clean, you should be good to go. Just check it again after a few hours and see how it looks.

I will say, that I usually get much closer to the correct amount. Within a few tenths of a quart.

Anyway, this coming from a 3GM owner. It would be good to hear from some 3HM owners to see how close they get.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT