Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2010

bartonman is on a distinguished road
need a solution for 13" offset shaft.

I just repowered with a 135 HP John Deere 4045TFM-75 with a velvet drive 1017-008 transmission. The problem is the transmission coupling is approx 13" above the shaft. I could not find an offset transmission with that much of an offset. I have an intermediate shaft that is 66" long I was considering taking the 13" offset out over the 66" distance using a cv joint system. Are there any other suggestions. Getting a different engine is not an option. This was a home built roberts 58 and was originally over powered by an isuzu DH100 and a large capital transmission.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Not quite sure what you mean but I'm trying. Do you need something like
this? Marine

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
you may be able to mount an isuzu 4x4 transfer case between the transmission and the prop shaft...this transfer case is small and fairly strong and has about 12-14" of offset...you may have to adapt splines and U/CV joints...but may get you the most offset in a short/shallow/small space...

about a 1" in and out....

something like...Ondrives: Gearboxes Reducers - Spur Gear Offset Gearbox - FF50 117mm Centres 425Nm

you may be able to find an in and out coupler similar either belt drive (flat gog) or gear drive..form a machine supplier..
Old 05-26-2010

Yes the CVO solution is the type I was looking at. Aquadrive is also a cv type system with a integral thrust bearing. I would like to stay with marine equipment. I probably should have said my shaft is 2.5" in diameter. So it's pretty beefy. I was looking to see if there is a transmission or gearbox readily available for this type of offset. I can take care of the offset with a vertical drop gearbox or a cv joint system over a 66" length. I may even be able to lengthen the 66" distance by moving the engine more forward.
Old 05-26-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
sure would love to see pics of this boat and project you have going Bman!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2012

Update

Just wanted to post an update to the solution I chose. I was looking through my old posts and realized I forgot to inform about this project. I'm still pretty much a newby to forums, so I don't know how to post pics yet. As soon as I research how, I'll post some pics of the process. I decided to switch transmissions to a drop transmission which took care of about 6 inches of the 13 inches I needed to drop. Then I modified the engine mounts to drop the engine the rest of the way. I did not want to cut into my stringers, so I designed the mounts to go down on the inside of them. I only had to trim about a half inch off the inside around the aft mounts. The mounts still rest on the top of the stringer and are through bolted. I made sure my measurements accounted for the adjustability of the shock mounts. I was able to dial in the alignment using the adjustments on the mounts and got it set perfect in my opinion. This way, the running gear remains straight. Sorry to those guys that provide the CV joint type couplings, because the life expectancy of that gear did not thrill me. I don't want to have to replace this thing in three years. It would undoubtedly go bad in the worst place possible.
Old 03-04-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: need a solution for 13" offset shaft.

Best solution. I did similarly with a big hurth drop offset gear and redesigned engine beds. A short CV shaft would be good for easy alignment and vibe but I didn't have room. Keep a good flex shaft magnet handy for the retrieval of tools and bits.