SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bukh DV-18-ME running cold

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  tdw 
#1 ·
Hi, my engine is a Bukh DV-18-ME (18hp). The two previous owners of my 1990 Vertue used the boat infrequently; as a result the engine only has 260 hours. Now the engine starts first time and runs perfectly, but seems to run colder than one would expect. I have changed the thermostat, this made no difference. I have also noticed at the end of a recent 2 hour trip when I was forced to motor due to a lack of wind that a slight oil/fuel? slick was behind the boat, I only noticed this when I was in my berth and about to shut down the engine. I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.
Regards

#2 ·
Zeerub,

How old is the donk ? I'm presuming original, so 20 years ?
The Womboat has a Buhk DV-24 of the same vintage and interestingly enough the same two issues.

Running Cold
My mechanic has checked out the thermostat and given the engine a good going over for me, his answer is that these things seem to simply run cold. I know that it is not considered good for an engine to run at extrememely low temps but given that ours is also 20 years old and runs like a charm what can I say ?

Oil Slick
Same again yet the engine does not seem to burn any oil. I change the oil every 12 months and despite the slick have never had to top up the oil between changes. We usually run the engine a couple of hours each week so it gets a reasonable amount of use. Earlier in the year we went down to Jervis Bay and beset by calms we had to motor probably half way in each direction. Oil level did not change. If like us the slick is very light I'm guessing it is more likely to be diesel than lubricant. If lubricant and heavy then I fear you may have worn rings probably brought on by wear associated with turning the engine over after longish periods of inactivity.

btw..when I say our slick is very light I mean very light indeed. If we run at anchor it is never of any concern as it seems to dissipate very quickly. I've certainly never noticed a slick builing up around the boat even in millpond conditions. If it did I'd pull the engine and rebuild. You might want to get a decent marine mechanic to check her out if its a bit beyond very light or if you are using oil.

Not too many Vertues in Sydney. Pretty little boats, I've always liked them but then I am something of a Laurent Giles fan. Where are you moored ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.