Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010
Two many boats!

degreeoff is on a distinguished road
smoking crankcase breather....

Hello, my lil M25 seems to pur BUT I have noticed smoke coming out of the breather hole. How much is too much and is it a problem? I have no hose attatched to it and was debating running it to the airfilter to suck it back in.

thank you all

Josh

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
I would not suggest bringing any breathing hole back in to anything. If you are smoking - I would suggest stopping! Something is not right there!
Old 06-07-2010
Two many boats!

well then what is not right? is it blow by? I mean the engine purrs.

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....
Old 06-07-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
This is in all likelihood blow-by... most Universals have a hose that leads to the air cleaner intake/cannister/filter for pull these fumes back into the engine.

Our son's engine (same one) runs smoothly and reliably as well, but has considerable blowby. Eventually it will have to be dealt with but for now to avoid smelling up the boat he has a hose from the PCV valve to the intake 'snorkel', and has installed a blower on the engine compartment that runs while the engine runs.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-07-2010
Two many boats!

Thanks, that was what i was looking for. I was thinking a tube to the intake and call it a day. The sad part is this engine only has 417 hours on it! i wonder if it could be because I have not put a good load on it yet? I just bought the boat in Oct and will be floating her in week or so for the first time.

Current boat...
Old 06-07-2010

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
Normally the crankcase breather is routed to the air intake so that the crankcases gases are burned in the combustion chamber and not vented to the atmosphere. If blowby is excessive and oil in a heavy vapor is also present, then it is an early sign of piston ring wear and will require attention at some time.

Every engine has a crankcase breather, even todays more modern engines, the gases are normally recycled. Adding the hose to the air intake filter is OK.
Old 06-07-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Sounds like the rings did not properly seat in. I would try and run the engine for at least an hour or two with a good load on it; maybe towing warps or against a drouge. You might also want to run an engine break-in oil for the next 100 hours or so to help increase the cylinder wall friction.
Old 06-08-2010

saildog1 is on a distinguished road
I stuck the breather hose into a plastic coke bottle on my 25XP. It didn't smoke but it did drip oil.
Old 06-08-2010

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
The crank case breather goes to the air cleaner, like you said. If it were meant to be shoved into a 2L bottle, that is how the MFG. would have supplied it. But since they did not, stick to connecting it correctly. If you want to know the condition of your "new" motor, do an oil analysis, and a wet and dry compression test, and of course a thorough visual. With this information, you could then diagnose any problems. Without this information, you will simply be , guessing and chasing Murphy.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 06-09-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Where the blow-by goes

The stock crankcase breather on the late 80's M25XP was vented straight down and the short hose terminates just behind the motor mount. This lets some smelly crankcase gases out that show up inside the boat even with the exhaust blower running.

The next version of that engine series, the M25XPB, had the hose routed back over the top of the engine, with the end of the hose cut at a slant and pushed up against the air cleaner.
I made that upgrade/change on our engine.

Later they must have routed it directly into intake manifold, perhaps.

L