Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-21-2010

mdzito is on a distinguished road
Westerbeke w13a running too cool

Hi Gang, I have a Westerbeke w13a in my Cal 28-2. This year, I decided to replace all the hoses, the impeller, the rusty old water heater, the thermostat, and the water temp sensor (because I broke the old one). The only item that really needed changing was the water heater, the rest was all preventative. Here's my problem. When I first launched the boat, I motored her to her summer port and the temp gauge showed a nice steady 180 degrees as it should. I had nice hot water coming from the fresh water taps.. All seemed wonderful. Next time out, temp didn't go much above 110-120. Seemed odd, but I didn't really run it very long. Yesterday I was forced to motor nearly 10 miles at about 2500-2800 rpm. Gauge still read in the 110-120 range. Hot water is still nice an toasty, exhaust is nice and clean, all seems perfectly fine except the temp gauge is reading too low.

Anyone have any thoughts? I am slightly suspect of the temp sensor because the new one is very different in design than the original, but it did seem fine on my first trip of the season.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
They have hand held "point and shoot" thermometers at auto parts stores now for under $50. I have one and find it useful for troubleshooting all sorts of stuff. If you had one of those, you could quickly confirm whether the motor was getting up to temperature or not by aiming it at the head and pulling the trigger and then reading the temp.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 06-21-2010

Thanks Ray. I think I'll try that. I love buying tools anyhow. Do you think the head temp should ready about the same as the water temp? (hopefully around 180)

Marc
S.V. Nauti-Dog
1987 Cal 28-2
Milford, CT
Old 06-22-2010
Banned

tytower is on a distinguished road
Lets hope that pinpoints it .
If its running colder than it should then I would suspect a sticky thermostat. They just have a ball of wax in them that heats up and expands.
Next perhaps a faulty temp sender. Perhaps the sender does not match the original and has damaged the guage?
Old 06-22-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Not likely it could damage the gauge. I'm pretty sure it's just a variable resistor. Checking the temp with a thermometer of some kind (contact, IR, etc) and comparing would be a good first step.
Old 06-22-2010

I'm going to try the ir thermometer this weekend, pull out the temp sensor to take a look at it, and if nothing jumps out at me, maybe pull the new thermostat and put in a 195 degree unit I have in my spare parts. Thanks all. I'll let you know what happens..
Old 06-06-2012

Scallywag2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Westerbeke w13a running too cool

mdzito,
What happened? My westerbeke M30 started running cool 120 degrees. I used an IR and it confirmed the temperature. What was your fix?
Old 06-06-2012

Hi, well, I never did find a solution. I used the IR thermometer and it showed I was running at around 180, so I ordered a new sensor. The sensor never arrived, so I ended up leaving it alone since the IT said all was well. I decided that I'd try again this season. This time, I went online and found a compatible sensor for $18.00, versus the Westerbeke unit that was $60 and never arrived. Then I promptly lost the damn thing, which is another story.... So I reordered another which arrived today! I'll install it this weekend and see what happens. I'll let you know, but if yours is running at 120 on the IR, sounds like maybe a thermostat stuck all the way open?
Old 06-06-2012

Scallywag2 is on a distinguished road

mdzito,

Thanks for the reply. When I replaced the thermostat, the old one was completely closed. I saw the westerbeke mechanic today and everything he suggested, I tried. I pressure tested the closed system. Bleed the air out of the system. All he could think of would cause the diesel to run hot. I even ran it under load for 3 hours. He did say that I would have poor fuel mileage and more wear on the engine but he said not to worry about the wear on the engine.
Old 06-12-2012

Still no luck on my end either. I swapped the temp sensor this weekend, but the gauge still won't read over 120. The temperature is definitely more like 180, based on the IR sensor. Just touching the hose that connects to the thermostat housing is enough to tell it's running above that. Darn thing runs fine, but it bothers me to not know the real temp. Next step, figuring out how to test the gauge itself...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.