Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
How to bleed diesel without a mess

No matter how careful anyone is (me included) some of the fuel gets on the engine and runs down to the bilge. Is there a way to bleed diesels without getting the mess? I know on cars and trucks there's a way to connect a hose to the bleeder. I know.. I think too much

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2010

Gary M is on a distinguished road
I guess it would depend on your set up. I bleed the primary Racor by putting a little dish under it to catch any spills then hold some paper towels at the vent which absorbs most of it.
I then move on to the small vent on the Yanmar filter mounted on the front of the engine. I just open the vent and hold paper towel over it until all the air is out. Close it and am done. So far I have never had to bleed the injectors.

Doing this I get a little on my hands but none in the bilge.

Which reminds me I need to change my filters today.

Gary
Old 06-26-2010
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
And later that evening while eating crabs they have a nice oily aroma that coming from OH! your hands! rags, dishes, cups, paper towels are part of the mess Gary! I bet a machinist could make a bleeder that has a hose connection with an o ring in the body so the fuel only goes in the tube not out the bleeder screw. But then.. who would bother LOL

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
TO EAT CRABS WITHOUT TASTING THE DIESEL

Get a box of disposable latex gloves - less than $10 from most parts stores.

Stops you having to wash crab juice off your hands too.

I suppose you could even wear them when bleeding the diesel system.
Old 06-26-2010
Lies about her age

Nope! some people have latex intolerance! LOL guess I'll stick with the paper towel method

my current "project"!
Old 06-26-2010
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Nope! some people have latex intolerance! LOL guess I'll stick with the paper towel method
Latex free gloves are your friend.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

Old 06-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Denise—

Use nitrile gloves.... for two reasons... 1) Latex is a very nasty material for people allergic to it... 2) Latex dissolves in petroleum products...Nitrile doesn't.

Also, carry some alcohol-based hand-sanitizer on your boat. It will do an amazing job of removing the residual diesel fuel from your skin and kill any germs in the process.

BTW, you could always do what Westerbreke and some other engine manufacturers have done... install an electric fuel pump to bleed the system. Generally, you don't even need to open any bleeder screws or anything... since the air just gets pushed through the system.

Many electric fuel pumps are pass-through designs, where the fuel will pass through the pump if it is off, so you don't even need to install a diverter system.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-27-2010

KVK is on a distinguished road
I recently had the challenge of changing filters on a 5411, and then try to crank the diesel engine to bleed the air out. I opted to install a fuel bulb between the tank and first fuel filter. A couple of squeezes on the fuel bulb, pressurizes the line and "controls" the bleeding process with a single stream vs. a pulsating stream from fuel pump. Anyway, it did the trick and the mess was easy to catch with fuel diapers.
Old 07-08-2010

anemoneii is on a distinguished road
My Universal M25XP is set up with a bleeder valve at the end of the fuel injector spillover tubes that just bleeds the whole system back to the tank, just turn on the key open the bleed valve and the lift pump will purge the whole system while you go for a swim, make Margaritas and just relax! Just shut off the valve start the engine and off you go. I think this is stock on this engine because the valve was painted engine color.