Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010

fparry is on a distinguished road
Good luck with it. Post a picture after you get it painted.

Just for reference here is a picture of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
old volvo penta single...-p2201960.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
With all due respect, garbage.
The parts to COMPLETELY rebuild a single cylinder diesel engine, with the exception of the block and head, even a Volvo, won't run more than $1500. Provided the block is decent, the head can be decked, cylinders honed, bearings replaced,... in fact if you can fix a lawnmower engine, and you're not afraid to get greasy, you can rebuild a single cylinder diesel engine in a weekend, if you have the parts on hand. It ain't rocket surgery. And, of course, this is assuming that the engine NEEDS to be rebuilt. Jones's Diesel rule of thumb #32(a) if it starts and runs, it usually only needs maintenance, not a complete rebuild.

Oh wait, you must have meant "the cost of HAVING SOMEBODY ELSE rebuilding".... and even then, I call bullschlitz. take the engine to the local tractor-and-forklift shop, not a "marine mechanic" and come back a week later. A shop would be hard pressed to invest more than 20 hours of labour into a full rebuild of a one lung diesel. even at $75/hr, plus $1500 in parts, it is still less than the cost of a Beta.

And let's not forget the hidden savings- the old engine goes right back in, whereas a new engine requires new mounts, new fabrication, headscratching, maybe a new shaft, etc., etc.,

I like the new Beta engines, and if i was commissioning a new boat, building a new boat, had a $8k-$10k budget for a repower, or had no mechanical skills, no tools and no desire to learn, i'd consider it.

But there is no way it is cheaper than rebuilding what is already there.
Just going from my experience.

I got a quote to rebuild my MD17C at $12000 plus and a new Beta, which I installed, was less than $10000. The Beta runs far smoother, quieter and burns less fuel, and Kubota parts including filters, are far cheaper than Volvo. With all that said, if it don't need rebuilding it certainly would be cheaper to keep it and just clean it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, but Jobi, at least from what I've read is a mechanic and going to do the work himself, rather than PAY someone to do it... and the engine is in relatively good running order, if not cosmetically the cleanest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post

I got a quote to rebuild my MD17C at $12000 plus and a new Beta, which I installed, was less than $10000. The Beta runs far smoother, quieter and burns less fuel, and Kubota parts including filters, are far cheaper than Volvo. With all that said, if it don't need rebuilding it certainly would be cheaper to keep it and just clean it up.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2010
Old Fart

Throwing money away

In my opinion, spending any money at all on the old Volvo is like throwing it away. They were all raw water cooled and even if it does run it is just waiting to fail due to rusting thru from the inside.

Old 07-09-2010

jobi is on a distinguished road
Quote:

That is crazy, these engines ar simplistic in design, nothing can justify spending $12000 to rebuild a penta single, plus its the most common used engin with about 20,000 units available on the used market.

if I wanted to rebuild mine, id made my own gaskets for about $10, id get whatever parts (piston, rigns, rode, sleeve, gears) from a motorcycle scrapyard for next to nothing, crank, crankcase can be rebuilted at any machine shop. mecanic isnt that complex, parts need only fit it dont matter witch brande they are. this is 30+ year old engine thers no need to make it original, make it work and be reliable.
Old 07-09-2010
Old Fart

Md17c

The MD17C is a three cylinder design.

I stand by my statement of not spending money on an old raw water cooled engine. It will fail dramatically at any time due to rusting thru from the inside.

Old 07-09-2010

Quote:
The MD17C is a three cylinder design.

I stand by my statement of not spending money on an old raw water cooled engine. It will fail dramatically at any time due to rusting thru from the inside.
well then you stand alone, this engin has never been touched in more then 30 years and still running strong. Now id have to call this reliable.

lets say I go full out and spend $140 new cylinder sleave, $40 new piston, $25 new rings, new valves $60 and why not have the crank rebalanced $250 and new bearings $50, ad new original gaskets $160 kit. and just in case an other $500.

now sins I am a consious worker and my entier engin is in pieces, I will buff every piece that shows sins of carbon or rust, I will oil them and rebuilt my engin carfully. Now I have an excelent and reliable engin for not much more then $1200 of corse I cauld by a used one for half or a rebuilt for $800, but this one I know will perform as it should and probably last as long as the original.
so I have to ask where is the logic in optaining a $10,000 engine for a $4000 boat?
sorry but all this is total nonsens, dont care if its 1 cylinder or 4.
pleas pepoles stop trowing away your $$ at such futilities unless you love new engines.
I dont mean to be rude, but this angers me cause its obvious someone was trying to scam you, I am angry at them not you, your the victime who now help others be victomised.

cheers
Old 07-09-2010

my original question was not if this is a good engin or not?

I sould have asked if this inboard was more convinient then a new outboard, sorry if I didnt ask my question properly.

personaly I love these simple old engines, I was thinking of adding a water tank in its place but now id rather keep the engin.
thanks
Old 07-09-2010

dwanespeer
I wasent trying to be rude with you in anyway, man when you neede help with your engin wish I was there, anyway you have a new one and seem to like it, that is all that matters.

last june I whent to visit an old riend, as I arived at about 11am he was tryint to figue out what was rong with his motorcycle, in 5 sec I said looks like a conecting rod bearing? whats for supper? my wifes doing a lasagna whant some? ya sure!
so I started to take the engin apart just the head, fund the offending part whent to the shop got a new bearing $32, we started the bike in time for supper.
I know a shop would have charged him $1000 maybe more? so I do understand what you are saying, but be honest surly you new the shop was being dishonest with you, you cauld have shoped arond for a better deal, or even ask a machine shop to rebuild your engin.
I think you wanted a new engin, that is perfectly fine.
but pleas dont go telling me that I will save money by optaining a new engin, thats crap!! but if the wife was near and Id wanted a new engin, then Id take this for gospel.

cheers
Old 07-10-2010

fparry is on a distinguished road
I wondered about the value of the boat this was in. Your correct in your statement that putting a $10,000 engine in a $4,000 boat doesn't make any sense what so ever. I would guess that given their age most of these single cylinder Volvos are mostly in similar surroundings. I paid less than $4,000 for my boat.
I wouldn't know how to respond to the question of raw water cooling and how it might effect the longevity of the engine. My boat has mostly been used in fresh water so I am guessing that that would make a difference.