Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010

ManchineelMan is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 1GM Starter

I have a Yanmar 1GM in my Cape Dory 22D. It has sat for the last 5 years unused. I have been working to get it recommissioned - new batteries, changed oil, fuel, filters, etc... but when I went to turn it over, the starter just clicked once, but there was no rotation of the engine. I lifted the decompression lever and tried again with the same results. Any thoughts on how to get it moving?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Have you tried cranking it by hand, to make sure that the engine is free and not seized?
Old 07-12-2010

I don't have a hand-crank... that is on my list of purchases. If it is seized - it did not seize in service. Any thoughts on "un-seizing" it?
Old 07-12-2010

you don't need a hand crank, flip the compression lever and put a socket on the crankshaft pulley. If it turns, then the problem is the starter. clean all of the electrical connections, check the solenoid, whack it with a hammer and hit the button.
Old 07-13-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
you don't need a hand crank, flip the compression lever and put a socket on the crankshaft pulley. If it turns, then the problem is the starter. clean all of the electrical connections, check the solenoid, whack it with a hammer and hit the button.
I second bljones' suggestion about checking the electrical connections. Make sure you include the grounding cable from the battery, and the battery terminal connections. Clean all the metal surfaces involved down to shiny metal before you reattach everything. If you still just hear a click, and everything else seems to be in order, you can take the starter out, and very (VERY) briefly (and carefully) test it using a set of jumper cables. If the solenoid seems to work and the pinion gear jumps forward and spins (usually scaring the crap out of anyone near by), you may well have a seized engine. If not, then the solenoid and/or the starter probably need replacement.
Old 07-13-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Definitely the first step is roll the engine by hand. As noted by bljones, engage the compression release, and use a socket wrench on the crank pulley. With an engine that size, you can probably roll it by hand without a socket wrench (unless its seized!).
Old 07-13-2010

Okay. I have not removed the starter yet, but I did try to roll the engine by hand - no luck. I had the compression release lifted and could not get it to turn. Any other suggestions or thoughts on how to free it? Will it need to be disassembled? I thought about pulling the head to see what I could see - but I don't have a service manual and would feel better with that as some back-up.
Old 07-13-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
You could remove the injectors and spray penetrating oil in the cylinders. Let it set a while and try working the flywheel back and forth to see if you can get it turning. Otherwise you need to pull the head, clean the cylinders as much as possible and tap the piston tops with a piece of wood. You have nothing to lose by doing this if you are careful. Otherwise the engine needs to be rebuilt.

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 07-13-2010

Okay, if you have tried to crank it with a socket and ratchet on the pulley, order a rebuild kit from Torressens and tear the top end off. Pull the head, and see how the cylinder bore looks. if it looks like the piston is siezed, fill the bore with brake fluid, or Kroil or PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench or whatever your penetrating fluid of choice is. let it sit for a day. get a 8" long length of 2x2" hardwood to use as a persuader, and place it on top of the piston and bang it smartly with a mallet or short handled sledge. The piston should break free in short oder unless it is REALLY corroded, in which case it is time to get serious.