Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Fuel Filters for Dummies

(Shamelessly cross-posted from A-S - because I'm an impatient bugger.. but you probably knew that already!!)

Just wondering if I'm missing something here.. Here's a pic of our fuel filter:

As I see it, there are two main controls - the fuel shut-off valve (yep, I can handle that ) and the drain valve. AIUI, any water in this thing will settle to the bottom and show clear, relative to the yellowish diesel above it (in the pic above, you can just see the line above the bottom of the bowl).

Opening the drain, I get pretty much straight diesel out and the yellow/clear level doesn't change. Upon closer inspection, it seems that, from the location of the bleed point in the chamber, there needs to be about 1" of water in this thing before I can drain any out with the bottom bleed...?

My questions:

1. The drain plug is extremely hard to close off without it leaking diesel. Is it supposed to be this hard to shut off, or am I missing something?

2. Is there supposed to be water in the bowl at all times?

3. If not, how do I drain the water out??

Thanks,

Last edited by Classic30; 07-19-2010 at 03:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
(Shamelessly cross-posted from A-S - because I'm an impatient bugger.. but you probably knew that already!!)

Just wondering if I'm missing something here.. Here's a pic of our fuel filter:

As I see it, there are two main controls - the fuel shut-off valve (yep, I can handle that ) and the drain valve. AIUI, any water in this thing will settle to the bottom and show clear, relative to the yellowish diesel above it (in the pic above, you can just see the line above the bottom of the bowl).

Opening the drain, I get pretty much straight diesel out and the yellow/clear level doesn't change. Upon closer inspection, it seems that, from the location of the bleed point in the chamber, there needs to be about 1" of water in this thing before I can drain any out with the bottom bleed...?

My questions:

1. The drain plug is extremely hard to close off without it leaking diesel. Is it supposed to be this hard to shut off, or am I missing something?

2. Is there supposed to be water in the bowl at all times?

3. If not, how do I drain the water out??

Thanks,
1. No the drain plug shouldnt be hard to shut off. However, with 'new' formulations of diesel, that plastic may be swelling a bit and therefore may be the reason for the difficulty.

2. No, it means that there is water in the tank .... free water in the bottom of the tank OR emulsified water in the fuel and that the filter media is 'coalescing' the emulsified, etc. water out of the fuel.

3. For this type of drain, and because your pic shows some 'space' under the filter bowl, .... I'd recommend that you remove the 'plug' at the drain and install a 'metal' cockvalve instead. Then if you in future visualize free water in the clear bowl, then all you'd have to do is open the '**** valve' to drain the water .... dont need a 'wrench/spanner' to open a cockvalve.

Note this STUPID server is censoring my post.... and the **** above is reference to a 'rooster' .... begins with a c and ends with a K and when spelled backwards is 'kcoc' and is a proper name for a small valve that operates with a wingnut or 'thumbnut'.

Last edited by RichH; 07-19-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Thanks, Rich - I know what you mean. See my reply on that other forum.

One issue I still have is that, upon opening the bleed, I only get fresh diesel out - the "water" level in the filter does not change. Retaining water (any water) just seems to be a really strange design to me and I can't find anything about it on the web..
Old 07-20-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
picture

Your picture isn't coming thru and seems to also be missing from AS. Perhaps you could try again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post
Your picture isn't coming thru and seems to also be missing from AS. Perhaps you could try again.
It's still there, but here it is again:

Fuel Filters for Dummies-dsc00129.jpg