Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-20-2010

I33 is on a distinguished road
Fuel line and fittings assembly

My new fuel system has many fittings between the tank and the lift pump--filters, valves, electric pump, etc. Most of these pipe fittings are 1/4-inch brass with standard pipe threads. In all my previous plumbing experience I always used Teflon tape on the threads to prevent leaks. Some are saying that Teflon tape is not appropriate in a fuel system--pipe dope is the preferred sealant. What is the collective wisdom of this forum? Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
NEITHER PTFE tape nor PTFE 'dope' is appropriate for fuel system connections !!!!!

The common connection fittings on fuel system are either very inferior compression fittings or flared/double flared connectors whose mechanism of 'sealing' is by METAL TO METAL (ring-seal) CONTACT - the 'threads' of the connector only providing the necessary force to 'drive' the metal mating surfaces together and make a 'seal'. Such sealing methods are always DRY and one should NEVER use dope or tape to make them seal.

So, if a typical fuel system connector is leaking it means that the metal-to-metal seal in not 'integral' and using dope or tape will only cause the leaking fluid to be 'trapped' on the outside of the sealing surfaces.

Of the two, (and when used correctly in 'threaded' - NPT or BSB joins) PTFE tape is SUPERIOR because it will stay in place and wont generate 'particulate'. Dope isnt very strong because the 'carrier' which holds the PTFE particles together can easily 'wash away' leaving only the PTFE partices, which after the carrier migrates, so too in a short time the residual particles will also migrate.

BTW - the so-called compression fittings are the LEAST desireable for a fuel system; double flared is the choice for MANY reasons:
1. The compression fitting is considered to be a ONE-TIME-ONLY usage/tightening. If opened the tubing under the 'ferrule' should be 'trimmed back' and the ferrule should be reinstalled over 'fresh' or NON-COMPRESSED tube.
2. Compression fittings are subject to 'stress-relaxation' of the copper tube, thus leaving the connection very subject to leakage over time .... very important on 'VACUUM' motive systems.

Whenever possible one should choose 'double flared' connectors for 'surety' and 'safety'
Boat builders use compression fittings because they dont require 'special tools' - cheap
Copper tubing is REACTIVE to most diesel fuels - a 'prime' system should be with stainless steel tubing.

Last edited by RichH; 07-21-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2010
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road
Gil, I just did a complete overhaul of my mech system, from prop to the fan belt new. I was at the point where I was laying out my supply and return fittings and valves, in copper. I was advised by my engine supplier, also a certified mechanic, to use coast guard approved rubber hose only, to abandon the old copper system. I installed a new ballvalve at the tank and ran I believe 7/16" approved hose for supply and return lines. I clamped everything down and it was a good deal easier than the copper also. He said it was something to do with vibration and imbedded copper in the glass. Red

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.