Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010

snowdawg is on a distinguished road
Yanmar fuel/ power problems

Hi everyone. Newbie here.
Hope some one can help me here
Short history 2 weeks ago my Yanmar SB8 was running fine no problems. Last weekend came down to fire it up and it wouldnít start.
Cause : fuel had turned (my fault 6 months old. not watching it.) So far Iíve removed the fuel, cleaned the tank and lines, change the racor filter and cleaned the primary yanmar filter, added new fuel ( with the proper additive) and bled the lines.

Heres my problem.
Motor starts and runs. But if I throttle up its slow to respond and if I put it in gear it boggs down and I get black smoke. Iím hoping this might be air still in the lines but Iím starting to think it might be the injector is fowled.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for your time.

Snowdawg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2010

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
bad injector,exhaust system clogged/restricted,air intake restricted, prop/prop shaft fowled,engine component[alternator,water-pump etc]not turning freely,bad trans.bearing.i would eliminate the possibilities starting at the easiest until i found the problem.i doubt its air in the lines,i also doubt diesel would go bad in 6 mo.
Old 07-28-2010

Thanks for replying. I will check those things you mentioned. The fuel was pretty obvious the start of my problem. I had been adding a little fuel to the over the months but no biocide / additive for the diesel. It had turned cloudy with small black dots in it and it would not fire on it. Once I changed out the fuel filters and fuel I got it to fire up.
Old 07-28-2010

i understand.perhaps you need to just run the engine for a while ,mayb it will clear up
Old 07-28-2010

some time when a injector gets partially clogged it stops spraying a mist and just dribbles so it doesn't fire correctly but somehow i just doubt thats your problem,a ysb 8 injector is so very tiny i don't see how it could only partially clog.
Old 07-29-2010

Just an update. Was out at the boat today and re-vented the lines according to the manual.I let it run at high RPM for a while and with no load it ran quite well. But itís still not running right throttling up or under a load. Lots of black smoke and no power.
I also checked the other things you mentioned like the air filter, Exhaust, and maybe something wrapped around the prop. All those are good, no problems there.
I have removed the injector and taken it in to a professional for cleaning and service
Once I get it back Iíll take it back up and try it again.

Thanks for your help
Old 08-06-2010

Conclusion on this. One fouled and sticking injector and one worn out fuel injection pump. the bad fuel just pushed these things in to the light. Pump is on order just waiting for the parts.
Thanks again for your help sawing knots
Old 08-06-2010

i'm very happy you've sorted out your problem,sorry about the expense,plz repost when its fixed,also feel free to send me a message anytime
Old 08-16-2010

Things come in threes

Well very interesting weekend indeed.
All went well installing my fuel pump and injector. I had no problems timing the pump and and was very happy with the results. I really noticed the difference in the sound the new pump makes.
However it did not solve my problem. Still no power lots of black soot and smoke. After a few phone calls to a mechanic and a few tests. I pulled the Cylinder head and found a blown head gasket and most of my water jackets in the head plugged. Strange that the block is not plugged

Wow All because I let the fuel go bad (Joking)

The bright side is that all this stuff needed doing and I'm learning (the hard way) how to fix it.
The head is going to get hot tanked and checked to to see if it warped and if it needs the valves done. Mean while I'm going to be Cleaning the block and going over the other stuff to see What else needs to be done.

stay tuned there's still more motor to check
Old 08-16-2010
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
yikes!

ouch, ouch... but it sounds like you're getting good help and advice. What sort of history did the engine have or how long had it been since its last rebuild?