Help! Leaking Injector Pump - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 88 Old 07-29-2010
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Mate if the mechanic is coming down anyway leave it alone. All you can probably do right now is make it worse.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 88 Old 07-29-2010

are you sure theres a gasket?,usually there's just precision shim/shims,btw from the pix it looks to have been leaking for some time,if you do remove the retainer be sure to replace with the exact same thickness shims and torque
post #13 of 88 Old 07-29-2010 Thread Starter
Once known as Hartley18

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
are you sure theres a gasket?,usually there's just precision shim/shims,btw from the pix it looks to have been leaking for some time,if you do remove the retainer be sure to replace with the exact same thickness shims and torque
No, I'm not sure there's a gasket. There's nothing specifically stated in the Workshop Manual, but there must be something there to keep the fuel in... and yes, I suspect it's been leaking for a while, filling the bilges with diesel at $1.30 a litre..

As I mentioned in the first post, I'm mechanically-illiterate. That's one reason I called the mechanic when it looked like there was more than just brute force required to fix this.

I was hoping that someone here may have come across this before. I have no idea how an injection pump works - and the Workshop Manual seems to indicate "if it needs fixing, remove the whole thing and return it to Volvo for repair.."!!!

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"
post #14 of 88 Old 07-30-2010

an injection pump is precisely machined so much that a gasket isn't necessary,a gasket wouldn't be able to withstand the enormous pressure also it wouldn't be conducive to the critical clearance required,your right to repair this sooner than later because the leak will only get worse and eventually damage the the pump mating surface.
post #15 of 88 Old 08-01-2010 Thread Starter
Once known as Hartley18

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
an injection pump is precisely machined so much that a gasket isn't necessary,a gasket wouldn't be able to withstand the enormous pressure also it wouldn't be conducive to the critical clearance required,your right to repair this sooner than later because the leak will only get worse and eventually damage the the pump mating surface.
What you are saying makes sense - except that I don't see how shoving a shim between the "precisely machined mating surfaces" (as per the Manual) won't cause a leak!

The mechanc is supposed to be coming down to "have a look after lunch". These are the people who put the engine in, so they should (hopefuly) know what they're doing..

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"
post #16 of 88 Old 08-01-2010 Thread Starter
Once known as Hartley18

Dock
'kay.. that was a waste of time. The apprentice showed up and said his Dad is on holidays in Bali and won't get back till next week.

After scraping away some of the flaking paint it does seem that the leak is coming from underneath 2 of the 3 "faceplates" that hold the injector pipes onto the body of the pump - trouble is, you need a special 5-pointed wrench to undo them.

The workshop manual says "Send the pump to Bosch if the workshop does not have specially trained personnel with the necessary testing equipment".

But this engine wasn't made yesterday. It sounds like I'm totally stuffed this time..

Anyone got any other ideas??

-
post #17 of 88 Old 08-01-2010
Handsome devil

My guess is a leaking Quill shaft.... but I have kept quite till now...it needs rebuilt by a qualified shop as said by others...about 500.00 US

"Go Simple...Go Large"

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
post #18 of 88 Old 08-01-2010

its hard to see[from your pix]what special wrench/bolt your referring to,is it a female hex bolt?is your special bolt,number 22? file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/volvo-penta-explodedview-7746800-23-182.aspx.htm
post #19 of 88 Old 08-01-2010

there appears to be a o ring under the locking plate
post #20 of 88 Old 08-02-2010

considering your situation i woulds advise you to wait on a competant mechanic,good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.