Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
No idea what a Quill shaft is, and I know the pic is fuzzy, but if you look closely you can see the two bolts holding each injector pipe are actually 5-pointed, not hex types. Fuel seems to be weeping out from under the plates.

I tried calling JJ Marinecraft (apparently the closest Volvo agents) and left a message on their answering machine.. I *hope* it's less than US$500 to fix! Ouch!!

Discovered another issue with the stern gland (grease nipple corroded right off), but that's going to have to wait until she comes out of the water next month.. Bummer.
Old 08-02-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
sawing-
You gave a local URL to your computer, it won't work for those of us who haven't hacked into your computer yet.

Hartley, when you said BALI I thought wow, that's an overpaid mechanic, till I realized Bali is a lot closer to you than it is to many of us. Still "Penta" means five and the big fuzzy photo you posted does seem to show some five-sided blots instead of hex bolts bolding the injectors in. I'd be tempted to obtain the tool--every tool is sold out there somewhere--take one out and see if it is something as simple as an o-ring. WTF, if that doesn't fix it, the guy at the shop is going to have to unbolt it to do something in there anyway, so with a little care you shouldn't be able to make things any worse.

If you go that route...do the bolts look like they were painted over? Might want to throw a little stripper around them first, to break the paint free.

B2191, Socket, Pentagon, 1/2" head depth, 5-Point

Here ya go, Snap-On sells pentagonal sockets, apparently used in fire safety equipment, $30Au for the one. But there's usually a cheaper source than the Snap-On truck, they're top quality AND top dollar. Any auto dealer or mechanical shop can tell you when the Snap-On truck comes round to visit, if you're not familiar with them.

Last edited by hellosailor; 08-02-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Thanks, HS - I'll do that!

I've never heard of Snap-On before.. that's why we need SailNet.
Old 08-02-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I have no idea how long they've been in Oz. In the US, they're a top-quality tool company that primarily sold "routes" to franchisees who then visit the stores along that route (or territory) and make sales to them, so a mechanic in a shop doesn't have to waste his time going out for tools. I think they also sell direct these days, but they have no retail stores, you had to "chase the truck" if you're not working in a shop that they came to visit.
Old 08-02-2010
Once known as Hartley18

I've just spoken to the Volvo dealer here who says he's never heard of them leaking and, from my description, that it's possible the injector plate is cracked - either way, it's going to have to come out and be sent off for repair.

He says he might have a replacement pump from a wrecked engine. If he can find it and I can get it cheap enough - perhaps a swap-over would be the way to go? I think I can get the pump off easy enough..
Old 08-02-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Hartly...you don't want to just pull it off with out setting your engine up first get the procedure specks for your engine and follow them...Like wise your supplyer needs to time the new pump he is sending you....usually set to fire on #1 cylinder....but what ever cylinder the pump comes timed to fire on first needs to be matched on the correct firing order of your blocks crank shaft rotation...

Also put a scratch mark on the flange of the block where the old one mates up....this will be a very close starting point to go by for the new one.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 08-02-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
As this tale of woe deepens I thought a re-read might be in order. You know Cam, when you described the part in question as "the fuel injector plate thingy" we all should have run for cover.

Mate, this sounds like something you should leave well alone.

However, two points....Snap-on tools do operate in Australia. good source for hard to find tools. Also Conventry Fasteners....we find them very useful for hard to find hardware and tools.

Snap-on Australia - Contact us

Coventry Group

also if the grease nipple has corroded right away it may be just a case of cleaning out the internal thread and putting in a new one. Its good that she is coming out next month cos if the nipple is corroded away you'd have to wonder how long its been since the gland was last greased.

and and and....don't forget to check anodes, lack thereof could be the reason why your grease nipple has gone bye byes.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-03-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
As this tale of woe deepens I thought a re-read might be in order. You kow Cam, when you described the part in question as "the fuel injector plate thingy" we all should have run for cover.

Mate, this sounds like something you should leave well alone.
Mate, I get's in my car and I turns the key and I drives away!.. how come boat engines aren't like that? Engines have never been something I've had much to do with in recent years.

Okay - so what do y'all think I should do??

1. Should I get the mechanic to remove the existing pump, send it out for checking and put it back in? If it's cracked, it'll need replacing anyway.. or

2. Should I just assume this one's stuffed in some way, source a "replacement" (non-new) and get the mechanic to do a change-over, knowing that he'll have to adjust the "timing" - removing and installing the thing multiple times to change the metal gasket (shim) beneath for one exactly the right size - and that that could be really expensive..

Remember, I'm not all that mechanically minded and have absolutely no idea what the actual problem is likely to be. How likely is it that it's an o-ring or gasket or some other easy-fix? How likely is it that the plate is cracked??

Thanks,

Last edited by Classic30; 08-02-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
also if the grease nipple has corroded right away it may be just a case of cleaning out the internal thread and putting in a new one. Its good that she is coming out next month cos if the nipple is corroded away you'd have to wonder how long its been since the gland was last greased.

and and and....don't forget to check anodes, lack thereof could be the reason why your grease nipple has gone bye byes.
Glad it could be something that simple... The shaft and prop were (supposedly) changed out when the engine went in a little over 12 months ago. The gland isn't leaking at all (yet!).

Unfortunately I don't seem to have a pic of it..

The club's diver told me last week that the anode is about 75% gone and that the antifoul is getting a little thin. That's the main reason the boat needs to come out.. but there's a list of things to do when she is out.

Maybe I need reminding why I'm doing this..
Old 08-03-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Aaaa.....You love to sail?

You think you have problums...come vist me!..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-03-2010 at 09:38 AM.