SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   How does engine shutoff work? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/67164-how-does-engine-shutoff-work.html)

sailak 08-08-2010 11:50 PM

How does engine shutoff work?

I have a Yanmar, does it interrupt the fuel supply?

The Admiral asked, I have to find an answer.

DelmarRey 08-09-2010 12:30 AM

Yes!

On the 3 & 4JH's Yanmars, when you push the stop button it cuts off the fuel by activating a solenoid at the pump. Without power it has to be done manually (if it's wired up right). ;)

sawingknots 08-09-2010 05:04 AM

many diesels have a electrical solenoid the cuts of the fuel flow when the electricity is turned off[ie ignition switch]electricity causes the solenoid to open,others are made to shut off with the throttle position,on my yanmar i usually just pull the decompression lever

JimsCAL 08-09-2010 07:09 AM

Diesels are stopped by cutting off the fuel. Gas engines are stopped by cutting off the spark. On my old Universal, the engine was stopped by moving the throttle past idle to cut off the fuel. On my current Yanmar there is a separate fuel stop handle to cut off the fuel. Stopping a running engine by activating the decompression release as sawingknots suggests is a bad idea. Below is from the Universal manual.

"DO NOT USE THE DECOMPRESSION LEVER TO STOP THE ENGINE!
This practice could seriously damage the exhaust valves."

sailingdog 08-09-2010 07:25 AM

There are two ways to stop a diesel engine. The first, as noted above, is cutting off the fuel and the safest way to stop the engine. The second it to cut off the air to the engine. This is usually only done as an emergency measure, and not typically used by the manufacturers to kill the engine in the normal course of things.

Gene T 08-09-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 630453)
There are two ways to stop a diesel engine. The first, as noted above, is cutting off the fuel and the safest way to stop the engine. The second it to cut off the air to the engine. This is usually only done as an emergency measure, and not typically used by the manufacturers to kill the engine in the normal course of things.

Yes but it is now important to mention. DO NOT USE YOUR HAND TO STOP AIR FLOW TO THE ENGINE! Doing so could result in a loss of part of your hand as this is a very powerful suction.

Should also point out that an engine can keep running with the fuel shut off under fault certain conditions. It will run on the engine crankcase oil around the rings if someone put too much oil in the crankcase or in some cases if the engine gets super over heated. In which case the only way to stop it is to plug the intake.

Gene

sailingdog 08-09-2010 10:08 AM

Good points both...and as I said, cutting off the air intake is an emergency measure....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene T (Post 630487)
Yes but it is now important to mention. DO NOT USE YOUR HAND TO STOP AIR FLOW TO THE ENGINE! Doing so could result in a loss of part of your hand as this is a very powerful suction.

Should also point out that an engine can keep running with the fuel shut off under fault certain conditions. It will run on the engine crankcase oil around the rings if someone put too much oil in the crankcase or in some cases if the engine gets super over heated. In which case the only way to stop it is to plug the intake.

Gene

bron 08-17-2010 09:25 PM

Yanmar 2GM stops engine by cutting off fuel supply. Kill engine handle is a cable control that teminates at the throttle linkage. Pulling the handle shuts off the fuel supply. It's a mechanicl shut off as opposed to an electric solenoid valve. Other Yanmar engines may have different shut off mechanisms.