Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010

oft is on a distinguished road
YSB8 with James Bond Feature

My 900 year old (actually a 1977) YSB8 has taken to laying down quite the stinky, white smokescreen on the water and frequently putting out black soot as well. The engine has been regularly serviced by a mechanic and was running alright other than the excessive white smoke which seemed to decrease a bit at moderate speed with the engine under a bit of load. Now though it's started to have a rough idle (repeatedly speeding up and then slowing down) and when first started will die if it's not run at a higher speed. After running for 10 or so minutes it can then be run at idle without acting up. My last time out there was even more white smoke and the engine would only run at one low speed regardless of the throttle position. There were no warning lights but I checked the engine oil when I got back and found it to be low even though it was changed at the start of the season and perhaps has seen no more than 4 hours of run time this year (...too much work and not enough brains to get out on the water more, but when we do the engine is only used to motor out of the marina and the rest is all sailing). I topped up the oil and added some more Bardahl NoSmoke as advised by the mechanic. When next started a few minutes later it idled alright (it always does when it is warm) and responded to the throttle properly even under load while tied to the dock. Lots of white smoke though and more black soot then one would hope to see. So this old engine is not behaving nicely despite the fact that it was fully gone over by a mechanic and has had only 4 hours of use since. Any ideas from you knowledgeable folks about what the problems might be?

Additional info:
1) The water flow may be a little less than normal and I need to haul her out for a bottom paint in the near future. The raw water strainer basket is clean but the intake might have some growth.
2) The diesel did have Pri-D added but because we use the motor so little the diesel is now 2 years old. It might have a hint of paint thinner smell to it so it might need to be replaced, but I thought bad fuel led to black smoke not white.
3) I don't think it's steam... remember reading somewhere that the Yanmar single cylinders don't run hot enough to produce this sort of steam... it is more white, stinky smoke.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Water.

Generally unless there is something really wrong with the engine, white smoke means water (moisture) in the fuel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I agree it is probably water in the fuel. Not good for the injector either. As far as the black soot, when was the exhaust elbow checked if ever? Black means unburned fuel and if the exhaust elbow is restricted this is common. This could possibly also be the cause of less water exhausted if there is a restriction.