Yanmar to simply bolt in place to replace my Universal M4-30? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-31-2010
RJYC Member

peterxr600 is on a distinguished road
Yanmar to simply bolt in place to replace my Universal M4-30?

I have a Cal 2-30 which originally had in an Atomic 4. This was later repowered with a 25HP Universal M4-30.

I am currently doing a temporary replacement with a Yamaha ME-125 (I know you havent heard of it, nobody and few in Yamaha have), thats why its temporary.

When I save up enough I want to do the "right thing" and put in a Yanmar which will fit easier etc.

I do not mind giving up some HP as speed is not as important as reliability, ease of maintenance, access to spare parts, space requirement.

The actual replacement should be basically plug and play however and if there is a popular 2 cylinder diesel that you would advise might be a better option than the Yanmar please suggest and say why.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Beta is a good choice. They are reliable, compact, and less expensive than a comparable Yanmar (at least around here). They are based on a Kubota block and parts (except the marinized ones) are available for less from a tractor dealer. They will also do custom mounts to fit your engine beds. I know several who have installed a Beta in the last few years and thay are pleased with the results.
My neighbor will soon replace his Volvo MD2 with a new engine and he was quoted about $2000 less for the Beta vs a comparable Yanmar.

But if the Yamaha does work out why change it? As long as it will fit it should be fine. And it is not likely to need much except filters and impellers for many years.

Last edited by mitiempo; 08-31-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-31-2010
RJYC Member

peterxr600 is on a distinguished road
Will look into the Beta option also. Like the idea about getting it from a tractor dealer, but would that have a transmission and heat exchanger...on a tractor?

Everyone has also said if the Yamaha works why replace it. Well as at now the damn thing is very heavy and big and I am loosing a lot of cockpit space.

Also as at now I can't find a Yamaha dealer anywhere in the world who has heard of it or has any parts etc. Can you imagine after all of this conversion I am down for months waiting on a filter.

I want my boat for sailing all year round in the lovely waters here in Jamaica. I don't mind and even enjoy working on her as she is my baby, wife etc.

What I don't want to be doing is working on her and waiting on parts while the rest of the fleet are off each weekend cruising and enjoying the sail.

I hate it at the bar hearing all the great stories whilst looking at my hammered knuckles and dirty nails with nothing to show for it.
Old 08-31-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
The Beta is from

beta marine diesel propulsion engines and generating sets for all boats, ships, yachts, longboats, cruisers, workboats

With a good size world wide dealer network

int_dealer

We use the twin 14 Hp in a C&C 35'

The Beta is also its third motor as its a 1970 boat A4 to saltwater cooled Volvo to freshwater cooled Beta

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Peter
Parts if needed can be purchased from a tractor dealer. Not the marinized engine or marine parts like a heat exchanger.
As far as the Yamaha, filters are not model specific and there are usually many that will fit. Yamaha didn't make the filters and I doubt that such a rare engine has a filter that fits it only.

You're losing cockpit space? What do you have to modify to make it fit?
Old 08-31-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Actually, your Universal was a marinized Kubota engine just like the Beta.
Old 09-07-2010

pdm26 is on a distinguished road
Yanmar is the only marine engine made 100% by one manufacturer, makes a big difference in parts and component availabilty. Think about finding parts 10-20 years from now, not just tomorrow. And wordlwide service second to none. Yanmar block, fuel pump, heat exchanger, manifolds, etc.

Also, get real quotes for Yanmar and look apples to apples versus smaller brands. Most of those do not include items you will buy such as motor mounts, panels, wire harness, etc...

Last edited by pdm26; 09-07-2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.