Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Yanmar 3GMD transmission oil confusion in manuals

"CLEARLY STATES atf OR sae30"
If it is that versatile, you could just pour in old bacon grease. That's either the world's most versatile gearbox, or a translation error.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

I can take a pic for you...its in english...

typical kanzaki kbw10 tranny found on 2 cylinder yanmars

and here you go from here on sailnet:

Kanzaki/Hurth KBW10 Transmission trouble

cheers

I should correct its the old 20/30 hd, which means you can use either 20 or 30 weigh straight grade again HD...

I used atf in my old yanmar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Last edited by christian.hess; 06-02-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-02-2014

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I can take a pic for you...its in english...

typical kanzaki kbw10 tranny found on 2 cylinder yanmars

and here you go from here on sailnet:

Kanzaki/Hurth KBW10 Transmission trouble

cheers

I should correct its the old 20/30 hd, which means you can use either 20 or 30 weigh straight grade again HD...

I used atf in my old yanmar
Interesting. I am surprised Yanmar would have such a wide range of lubricants. I know of older BMW cars that when the manual transmissions are hard to shift (especially in below freezing temps) some have used ATF in the gear box instead of the recommended gear oil- and it seems to have worked.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 06-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Interesting. I am surprised Yanmar would have such a wide range of lubricants. I know of older BMW cars that when the manual transmissions are hard to shift (especially in below freezing temps) some have used ATF in the gear box instead of the recommended gear oil- and it seems to have worked.
I have seen many transmission or gearcases spec different oil and or lubes depending on whats available

for example many recomend atf now especially the dexron 4 stuff which is really good

here is an interesting tidbit too

many motorcycle suspension shops and or mechanics prefer to use dexron 4 atf for their suspensions as the detergents and antifriction properties as well as antifoaming agents are preffered over the overpriced "suspension" fluid

its also widely known that many fork fluid is simply rebranded atf...but wuth 3 or 4 times a higher price

x2 on your bmw comment...

in any case...the kanzaki trannies are pretty robust and im sure any old bacon grease can work for a while

if it were me I would use what it had in there before me or if you want to change I would tear it apart clean meticulously and use your preffered lube, be it oil or atf...having said that, some clutches and or plates or disks will retain a fair amount of the old lube in them even after cleaning so its at your own risk when doing that

for example in wet clutch engines or motorcycles plenty of folks get all sorts of mad when simply switching brands of oil...or when they switch to an energy conserving oil...and creat all sorts of havoc...

in some cases its the oil...others its the owners not rinsing or sufficiently eliminating the old traces of oil from the clutch

anywhoo

Last edited by christian.hess; 06-02-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"I can take a pic for you...its in english..."
"I should correct..."
Ergh...correct to what? SAE 20/30 HD and not ATF, ATF was a different tranny?
I wasn't thinking of a translation error on your end, but rather from Japanese (?) into Ynglitch. Some of the "manuals" I've gotten from the Orient are incredibly funny. Go back 40 years or so, and many/most of them were crude-to-adequate. Hell, even Toyota, who were fairly big in the US at that point, had some odd phrases in their US car manuals.

I've learned that nothing is impossible (except getting anyone to do anything right or on time the first time) I'd just always heard that gearboxes were made for one or the other, never ATF and motor oil each good in the same box.

And that there's usually a reason specific lubes are used. While a number are "good enough" to misuse, there's usually some long term benefit in using the right one. Even better if you can get it off-label cheaper, sure, as long as it is the same stuff.
Old 06-02-2014

hellosailor the kanzaki transmission states you can use EITHER that doesnt translate to mix at will

thats what I was saying...

ps although the kanzaki trannies are indeed made by yanmar use whatever the TRANSMISSION plates says to use...

Last edited by christian.hess; 06-02-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I can take a pic for you...its in english..."
"I should correct..."
Ergh...correct to what? SAE 20/30 HD and not ATF, ATF was a different tranny?
I wasn't thinking of a translation error on your end, but rather from Japanese (?) into Ynglitch. Some of the "manuals" I've gotten from the Orient are incredibly funny. Go back 40 years or so, and many/most of them were crude-to-adequate. Hell, even Toyota, who were fairly big in the US at that point, had some odd phrases in their US car manuals.

I've learned that nothing is impossible (except getting anyone to do anything right or on time the first time) I'd just always heard that gearboxes were made for one or the other, never ATF and motor oil each good in the same box.

And that there's usually a reason specific lubes are used. While a number are "good enough" to misuse, there's usually some long term benefit in using the right one. Even better if you can get it off-label cheaper, sure, as long as it is the same stuff.
I know exactly what you are talking about...rebuild old honda motorcycles and stuff and youd be hard pressed to get halfway through without going nuts

having said that its pretty simple to see what the plate on you tranny says and use that

to note is that kanzaki (at least the kbw10 tranny) did change later models to only use atf...

Old 06-02-2014
Plausible Deniability

Christian-
Yes, I'm clear on either, not both at once. And that's still possibly the only maker or only gearbox I've ever heard of that says that. (In the little I know about gearboxes.)

That either makes it so incredibly advanced, or, such a crude old monster that it just has toothed gears on shafts that don't really care what they eat, I guess. Sometimes old, crude, simple machines that run forever is better than having finicky new ones that work better--but not as reliably.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 06-02-2014

thats exactly what it is...a disk and some gears and thats that

there is a saying in the old motorcycle world or motor world that ANY oil is better than no oil

so when in doubt just put something in...deal with it later

Old 06-08-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Sometimes I wonder if the foreign companies that write translated service manuals ever bother to hire a native English speaker to try to make indexing and searching logical. Sometimes I wonder what they were thinking when a simple topic requires a three step procedure to make any sense of it. I have the service manual for my 3GM30F and have spent hours at times trying to find answers to the simplest questions like WHAT KIND OF OIL to use:-) It has all you'd ever want to know but it takes time to sort it out. I've run into the same issue with electronic equipment manuals. They are printed in English but seem almost nonsensical in the way they are organized and the way topics are explained.