Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Yanmar 3GMD transmission oil confusion in manuals

The Ynglitch translation is the least of the problem. Good manuals of any kind require hiring a technical writer who is familiar with the field, and then having them spend several days or weeks with an engineer who really knows the product. Just to start. So, fine manuals become a matter of a week or two of skilled labor costs and many companies just won't pay that.

Then of course, hiring a translator, a native-language speaker who sometimes needs technical vocabulary as well...haha.

And indexing? No, really, that's where someone needs to spend more money on publishing software instead of just word processing, most of the time. Again, ain't gonna happen unless someone at that company perceives a need for that expense.

Case in point, consider Google. Try to find the manual for a Google Nexus5 smartphone. You can't! It doesn't exist. No index, no manual, not even a PDF file. If you really know how to use Google Search, you can find a web manual for the KitKat OS, but curiously enough, they have locked it out so it can't be printed.

One of the most cash-rich technical companies on the planet, and they can't even be bothered to write a simple manual for a simple product in their native language. Manuals cost money, good manuals cost more money. No one wants to spend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Proper indexing and cross referencing requires a lot of expertise in the subject being covered as well as the writing skills. Tech companies are long on technical know-how but seem to be short on basic writing skills and communication. Unfortunately, a sign of the times is that there are lots of tech wizards who never learned (or were never required to learn) essential language arts skills. I don't think they even know how bad some of these manuals are written.
Old 06-08-2014

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

To the point of which oil to use in the transmission, I agree it's confusing. The manuals, the internet, advice from mechanics .... Its all over the map. Too much conflicting info so I go by the label on the transmission.

my original kbw10 from 1979 said "ATF-A or SAE 20/30 HD". I used Dexron ATF in it since I believe that is about as close to ATF-A you can get in this century.

I replaced that transmission (... hmmm maybe this means something .... ) with a 1981 kbw10. That one said "ATF-A". No mention of a motor oil option. So I'm sticking to Dexron ATF in this transmission too.

I change the transmission fluid on the same schedule as the engine oil ... Every 100 hrs or once a year, which ever comes first.
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.