SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   New Diesel Engine, Low Load Charging (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/69571-new-diesel-engine-low-load-charging.html)

gbm4th 11-01-2010 08:32 PM

New Diesel Engine, Low Load Charging

I was wondering if the newer diesel engines (Beta Marine 25) still preferred to work under a full load as opposed to cruising along under partial load. I have read about carbon build up and condensation if the engine does not achieve adequate operating temperatures. I would prefer to avoid that with my new engine if possible.

Thanks,
george

jrd22 11-01-2010 09:51 PM

All diesels should be run under some load, but generally speaking they will come up to operating temp even at a fairly low throttle setting when in gear. I always run a new engine pretty hard at different rpms for the first 50+ hours to prevent glazing of the cylinders but after that I'm pretty easy on them (I don't adhere to the factory recommendations that you always have to run at 80% of full load).

JimsCAL 11-02-2010 07:12 AM

Not a lot of change in the basic design of diesels in the last 30 years. The Beta is a Kubota engine, just like the Universal diesels of the 1970s. Still not a good idea to run the engine at idle for long periods, but as long as it gets a run at load regularly, you will be fine.

Stu Jackson 11-03-2010 05:19 PM

Excuse me, but you have a brand new engine. What does you MANUAL say to do? I know, it's a guy thing, right?

gbm4th 11-03-2010 05:47 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I have ordered the engine but have not received it yet and it won't be installed till spring 2011.

George

Maine Sail 11-03-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbm4th (Post 662562)
Thanks for the replies.

I have ordered the engine but have not received it yet and it won't be installed till spring 2011.

George

Beta has their own forums, HERE. Why don't you ask them and see what they say specifically around warranty and low load engine idling.

Stu Jackson 11-04-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbm4th (Post 662562)
Thanks for the replies.

1. I have ordered the engine but have not received it yet and it won't be installed till spring 2011.

2. I have read about carbon build up and condensation if the engine does not achieve adequate operating temperatures.

1. Can you not ask the dealer for a manual, now?

2. That's usually true for all diesels. Operationally, just run it til it reaches operating temperature, only a few minutes at cruising load will do it every time. If you're planning to run it at only 1500 rpms for charging your house bank, then you need to start thinking about your overall electrical systems, bank capacity and the like, which is a whole 'nother topic.