Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Volvo Parts Prices

OK - no Volvo bashing, I've got one and I have to admit it has been perfect for 9-seasons now. But the bash against Volvo has always been for outrageous part prices.

Today I received, via UPS, a genuine Volvo Parts air filter for my engine for $42 + $8 shipping. The air filter is a foam plastic cylinder, no internal spring to hold the shape, no hose clamp to attach the filter to the manifold neck... just a foam cylinder. You are expected to re-use the old piece parts with the new filter element!

Here's a look at the parts diagram: For $50! I got part #3. I had to bring my own part #2 and #4.

All-right, bitching over. I "saved" $8 by buying the part from my favorite on-lie parts source - Volvo would have charged the full $50!

What say you, Yanmar owners? My son summed it up as, "bent over" as in, Dad, you've just been...
Old 11-11-2010
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I would have been very tempted to try to make that with a piece of foam wrapped into a cylinder and glued edge to edge. Yeah, I know...and then it falls apart and gets sucked into the engine and costs $80,000 to fix Still, I'd be tempted.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
That cost less than I would have expected.... The reason that I sold my Audi A6 (for cheap) is that I was tired of getting screwed on parts and repairs. I bought a Toyota pickup.

The thing that I like about my Universal Diesel is that it is a marinized Kubota tractor engine. Beta Marine, and Westerbeake engines are also from Kubota. I can go to any Kubota tractor parts supplier and get the EXACT part for 1/3 what the marine part dealer charges.
Old 11-12-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
... I bought a Toyota pickup....
Yup! We had a Toyota till we had to sell it because our son ridiculed it's age - it simply wouldn't break. Now Hondas - same deal.

The year after I bought the boat its manufacturer offered Yanmar as an option. I would have "opted"!

Maybe its my prejudice, but anytime I can buy Japanese mechanical products, I do.
s/v Virginia Dare
Old 11-12-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
And Volvo don't restrict their robbery to marine.

Years ago a company I worked for sold on a fleet of 12 good-condition Volvo heavy trucks for no reason other than the cost of parts threatened the survival of the business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 11-12-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I have two Volvos, one in the sailboat and another in a powerboat. Last year I had a lot of work done on the big engine and when completed I went over the bill with the service manager of the shop that did the work item by item for the parts. They are a factory shop for Volvo, Cat, Yanmar, Cummins, Detroit, etc. so they are familiar with parts prices from all the major engine companies. There were some items that he felt were higher priced than other manufacturers, but some were also lower priced. There were a couple of items that were just ridiculous (a small proprietary cooling hose - $250) but only one or two IIRC. All in all he thought that most of the parts were in line with Cummins prices, lower than Cat, higher than Detroit and about the same as Yanmar. Unless you have an engine that is used for non-marine applications like some of the Kubotas you're stuck paying the price. Where Volvo has gained the reputation for having outrageous parts prices is on some of the older, discontinued engine parts which they truly charge a fortune for. But on the other hand they are available, whereas with some of the other manufacturers they simply are not (but it's still highway robbery!). I'm sure Volvo does this to push people into upgrading into a new engine although I wonder if it has the desired effect or if it results in people buying a new engine from a different company?

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse