Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010

rk6johnson is on a distinguished road
Another Yanmar Low RMP Issue

I have a 2008 Catalina 309 with 3 cyl. Yanmar. It's a Shared Use (WindPath) boat with 150 hours. Engine recently lost power. Would only run at 1900 rpm and not much more in neutral. Checked prop, no fowling, turned easily. I notice I had not change the Fuel Filter for awhile so change primary Raycor with no benefit. Then changed the secondary filter on engine. Engine rpm increased to 2400 but would not go to typical cruise rpm (3000+). In neutral, engine reved to 3200. Checked air filter-no change with filter removed. Checked for air leaks, tightened fittings, checked injectors (all working). After 3 weeks, max rpm is 2100, slight black smoke coming from exhaust when throttle pushed further. Runs smooth. Only about 2500 in neutral. I read posts below on filter clogged, prop question-not applicable. Other low rpm post-no help. Any ideas? Could the injectors be partially plugged due to the engine filter getting too dirty? Could the fuel be that dirty and plug filters again? I am planning to change filters again and see what happens. Planning to add a fuel treatment.
Old 11-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the prop hasn't changed, and isn't fouled, and the propshaft isn't fouled, and the filters have all been checked or replaced...one other thing it can be is the fuel delivery system.

Have you checked the fuel pickup tube? On many boats, there is a screen covering the end of the fuel pickup tube, and these can often get fouled by "algae" or other debris in the fuel tank. Removing the screen and letting the fuel filters deal with the stuff is usually the best way to get around this problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2010

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
My tank had the screen on the fuel outlet tube and it was clogged. To clear it I pulled off the hose and blew into it clearing the screen. I later pulled the tank and cleaned it. Had a lot of black gunk in it. The screen is not a good design on the Moeller tank (what I have). The tube is about 1/2 inch ID with the fine screen fitted over that. That gives about 0.8 squre inches of screen filter area- not much. I pulled the fill hose off my tank and looked in with a flash light. I could see the gunk on the draw tube screen plus all the gunk at the bottom of the tank. I plan to polish my fuel once a year myself by pumping and filtering then return to tank. I also may remove the screen and install an inline fuel strainer upstream of my racor just to catch the big gunk. I also plan to install a fuel vacuum gage at the engine- this will tell me the condition of the fuel system downstream of the yanmar mechanical pump (install gage just downstream of the yanmar fuel pump).
Good luck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook