Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Burning engine oil ...I think

After 160 hrs (3 weeks period) of running my Yanmar 2GM20F, I've found only 1/2 litre of luboil left in the engine crankcase when I pump it out. Since I found no oil in the bilge or engine drip pan I suppose the lost oil has been burnt in the piston. Question is, is this the sign of wore piston rings?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2010
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
More than likely , but it could also be burnt valves or bent or non seating valves all on the normal side , esp on an engine designed for old world gas new gas ( unleaded) requires stellite valve seats to say the least...

unleaded gas burnt in an older eng designed for leaded gas will polish the cylinder walls like a mirror , make valves stick & burn ect....

if diesel then just the first part about rings and valves ...

Hope that helps....

EDIT: yep just saw this is the diesel side of things lol...
Old 12-13-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Are you sure all the oil was removed from the engine?marc
Old 12-13-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I'm not familiar with the oil capacity of a 2gm, but if you ran it with only 1/2 liter in it I think you would have soon heard lot's of noise and then it would seize up since that wouldn't be enough oil to prime the oil pump. I'm with Marc above that you did not remove all of the oil for some reason. When you checked the oil level before running the engine everyday (?) did you notice the level consistently getting lower until it disappeared off the stick entirely?

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-13-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
There's probably another 2 liters left in the crankcase. Are you sure you got it all out? How much was in the filter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2010

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Quite certain 1/2 litre left. I pump it out into a 1.5 litre pet bottle which filled to 1/3 volume. Poured in 2 litres+ after changing the filter. Well engine still ran fine with 1/2 litre of oil and that surprises me. So if the rings are wore, can it be change without removing the whole engine? Do I suppose just by taking out the tophead and mid block I can have the piston rings changed?
Old 12-14-2010
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
I couldn't find a IPB for your eng. here YANMAR Diesel Power - GM/YM Series Marine Engine

Personally I would try everything & anything to find out more like compression test to say the least before you start digging into your eng.....

On most engines one would have to remove the crank shaft to do piston rings correctly Unless the cylinder / cylinders can be taken off the top of the block .. you did say "mid block" this means to me that would be he cylinders.

try simple thing like using a wood dowel that fits in the dipstick hole loosley ( not just a stick off a tree) to touch the bottom of the crankcase pan once you think it's empty to verifiy it really is before you believe it only had 1/2 liter in it ...

allways check everything before takeing your eng apart ... you may have no problem at all hopefully..

Hope this helps ...
Old 12-14-2010
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
If your engine is burning enough oil to require a rebuild, you will see LOTS of blue-grey smoke. Like enough to see where you've been for the last 10 minutes. The best test is to track consumption on the dipstick--depending on where your pump inlet is located, you may be removing only a fraction of the oil in the sump. See Yanmar 2GM Oil Change Suggestions
Old 12-14-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
If I understand correctly you ran the engine for 160 hours without adding any oil and then when you changed it there was only .5 liters of oil in it, correct? And like Don states above you didn't see a lot of blue smoke, both at startup, and while running? And while the engine supposedly only had .5 liters of oil in it the low oil pressure alarm didn't go off, or the pressure guage (I don't know what you have) didn't read abnormally low? Something isn't adding up here.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-14-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Compression test, and if that's questionable you can do a leakdown test. If you can get a recommendation to a local diesel mechanic, not just someone who claims to be one, pay for a looksee.

Oil can be funny, sometimes there's a pint or more hiding in the filter, sometimes you haven't sucked what you think out of the pan, sometimes it is being sucked past the rings. At this point, do some testing before you start to worry. Carry some spare oil & check the dipstick in the meantime, no crisis.