SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Volvo Penta opinions?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  negrini 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with a Volvo MD2040C? I would be interested in good and bad points, opinions, facts, things to watch out for and good stuff.'

Thanks

#2 ·
I have an MD2040A which is the same as the 'C' but without the upgraded electrics and more shapely heat exchanger.

They're a nice engine - once you get over the fact that they're not a Yanmar or a Bukh and resign yourself to the knowledge that parts are going to cost you an arm plus a leg or two!! :eek:

Down-sides:
- Uses glow-plugs, so it takes 10-15secs to start the engine.
- I have the 'standard' panel with the on/off button - and keep forgetting to turn the ignition off. :eek:

Up-sides:
- Very quiet - for a diesel engine. Acoustic insulation is optional.
- Plenty of grunt and low-down torque (with my 6-ton boat I can still happily tow someone else without any noticeable complaint from the engine!)

There isn't much to look out for other than the usual smoky exhaust (it shouldn't) and to check the impeller (right on the front and very easy to get at). Make sure there are no diesel leaks around the injection pump or injectors that might indicate something is wearing out and needs replacement.

Am I happy with this one? Yep. If I was re-engining and had a choice, would I get another?? Probably not.

Hope this helps. :)

#3 ·
Thanks so much, a very helpful reply. I am used to a YSM8 with no glowplugs and starting it in cold weather was always tough. Had to become a contortionist to hold the decompression lever and push the starter at the same time.

Glow plugs don't sound so bad.

#4 ·
I understand. There is absolutely no way you can start an MD2040 by hand, so you're kind of reliant on the electrics - one of the things they tweaked in the 'C', IIRC.

Compared to what you've been used to, this thing will be a breeze!! :)

#5 ·
I had a MD2040C on a 40 feet some years ago. I had replaced a very old MD13, and was very happy with engine performance. The boat belongs now to a friend wich have 3900 hours on it and still runs like new. Hartley is correct about parts price, but you'll find a great worldwide support, and rarely the parts supplier doesn't have what you need at store. Regarding the improved heat exchanger, I had some problems. During the engine replacement, I mistakingly stepped over the water tap, right above the exchanger reservatory, to make in and out of the cabin. It created a very tinny crack on the tap neck that allowed a very small amount of water leaking from it. Strangely, as the temperature raised (not to a point to sound the alarm), the rubber that separate the salt water from the fresh water on the heat exchanger, became loosy and allowed some salt water mix. Overtime, the process continued as I didn't note the small leak under the cap, making the internal coolant completely salt, and the never got any alarm, since temperature became under control all the time. After some weeks, I noticed the leak as it left a clear trace of dry salt. I did try many alternatives to fix the cap, and after a year or so, the only remedy was the complete replacement of the heat exchange ... a very expensive repair. I enjoyed the engine smoothnes some more years, but if I need to choose one, I'll stick to my recent Yanmars !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.