Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011

GCsailor is on a distinguished road
Why fuel filters must be changed

I recently purchased my Catalina 380, and have been doing maintenance and a few minor upgrades. Tried to take her out for a sail last weekend, and the engine died in the channel. Had to be towed back to dock.

Today I went to troubleshoot the problem and found black sludge where clean diesel should be found. The first picture is the fuel I drained from the primary filter.

Since I could not see into the fuel separator at all, I removed it and cleaned it. The second picture is the plastic bowl in the bottom of the separator after I drained it, and the forth is after I cleaned it.

The third picture is a reference picture for what diesel SHOULD look like.

After all of this the engine started right up.
Attached Thumbnails
Why fuel filters must be changed-dcp_0180.jpg   Why fuel filters must be changed-dcp_0181.jpg   Why fuel filters must be changed-dcp_0182.jpg   Why fuel filters must be changed-dcp_0183.jpg  
Old 01-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Where I buy diesel, it's pink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Off road diesel has red dye to denote that it has not been "road taxed". I would guess the op bought some diesel at a filling station and not a marina that sells un-taxed fuel.

What year is that 380? That's pretty dirty for such a new boat...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Off road diesel has red dye to denote that it has not been "road taxed". I would guess the op bought some diesel at a filling station and not a marina that sells un-taxed fuel.
Just a little smiley at the comment stating "what diesel SHOULD look like".
Old 01-09-2011

GCsailor is on a distinguished road
Yes, the diesel I showed is the undyed version.

My boat is a 1997 (see signature).
Old 01-09-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a fuel treatment thread brewing.

Although it doesn't really look like bugs, it could be. If it happened fast, it is likely.
Sail Delmarva: Diesel and Biocides

If it were me, I would always design a diesel tank so that it could be cleaned. Treatments are good for maintenance, but a clean start is best, even after the bugs are dead.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2011

I get a little compulsive about adding a fuel stabilizer with injector cleaner and a biocide at each fill up, not just during winterization.

If you do have sludge at the bottom of the tank itself, that is worth getting cleaned out.
Old 01-09-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Looks like a very common diesel oil fungal contaminant - Cladosporium Resinae or "kerosene fungus" - a resin forming fungus that uses the diesel fuel as it nutrient source. That 'black' is most probably from a massive 'colony' growing on the walls of your tank and is periodically breaking loose from the walls as the dead fungal cells disintegrate and 'come apart'.

When you see such as this the only method to prevent further premature filter clogging is to clean the tank either by opening the inspections ports and SCRUB or add a 'tank cleaner' such as Starbrite enzymatic "Tank Cleaner", etc. ... or better, do both. If you dont, then expect to use a LOT of filters.
Such common fungal contaminations result in very 'soft and extrudable' particles that easily 'slime over' filter media which leads to premature blockage of the filter .... and until the blockage is 'total' the increasing pressure across the filter will cause this 'stuff' to extrude through the filters, and ultimately deposit in the hot sections of the exhaust system as a thick "coke".
Infected tank, constantly plugging filters, AND clogged, 'coked-up', exhaust system.
This is most probably an 'infection' - dont simply change the filters, clean the tank!

FWIW - why does 'non taxed/dyed' fuel from a marina ALWAYS cost much much much more than 'taxed' fuel from a truck-stop?

Last edited by RichH; 01-09-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Looks like a very common diesel oil fungal contaminant - Cladosporium Resinae or "kerosene fungus" - a resin forming fungus that uses the diesel fuel as it nutrient source. That 'black' is most probably from a massive 'colony' growing on the walls of your tank and is periodically breaking loose from the walls as the dead fungal cells disintegrate and 'come apart'.

When you see such as this the only method to prevent further premature filter clogging is to clean the tank either by opening the inspections ports and SCRUB or add a 'tank cleaner' such as Starbrite enzymatic "Tank Cleaner", etc. ... or better, do both. If you dont, then expect to use a LOT of filters.
Such common fungal contaminations result in very 'soft and extrudable' particles that easily 'slime over' filter media which leads to premature blockage of the filter .... and until the blockage is 'total' the increasing pressure across the filter will cause this 'stuff' to extrude through the filters, and ultimately deposit in the hot sections of the exhaust system as a thick "coke".
Infected tank, constantly plugging filters, AND clogged, 'coked-up', exhaust system.
This is most probably an 'infection' - dont simply change the filters, clean the tank!

FWIW - why does 'non taxed/dyed' fuel from a marina ALWAYS cost much much much more than 'taxed' fuel from a truck-stop?
Unfortunately, none of the Startron products are bio-cides, capable of killing the bugs. They did market Star Brite Bio-Desiel, but it doesn't seem to be in the catalog anymore. Bio-bor, FPPF Kill-Em, and Raycor Bio-cide Diesel are proven products.

Rich is right though; a clean tank with NO water does not provide an environment where bugs can grow. Treat with a bio-cide, clean the tank, and then maintain with bio-cide + fuel treatment.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 01-09-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Not quite! The enzymes DISSOLVE the fungal colonies and puts the very small sized 'debris' into solution so that it can easily pass through common 'filters'.

Not quite! A LOT of the water in fuel is in an emulsified state (finely divided on a non-visible macromolecular scale held between the fuel molecules) plus molecular (sized) water due to chemical equilibrium ... and the biologicals can extract their needed 'water' directly from the partly water saturated fuel and dont need 'free' water in the bottom of the tank.
;-)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.