Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011
Reformed powerboater

TheBlackPearl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheBlackPearl Send a message via Yahoo to TheBlackPearl
Kanzaki shift fork

Hi all, i know that the parts availability for older Kanzaki transmissions is getting quite scarce, and the horse has been beat to death - however i'm curious if anyone out there has had the shifting fork replaced or rebuilt in theirs, and if they have had any luck. I'm not talking about "Red-Green'ing it", if i can't repair/replace the fork properly then i'll bite the bullet and wait until i can afford a replacement trans.

I have a 3QM30H Yanmar mated to a Kanzaki KH-18 (i believe... it's been awhile since i crawled under there or opened up the service manual) and the trans. went out. The shift fork is worn down and can be adjusted to either shift into drive, or reverse, but not both. I've talked to a few mechanics about the possibility of rebuilding it and all three said that i could have it brazed and built back up if i had the specs for it. I have the factory service manual but am curious if theres someone who has gone through the same headache on theirs.

Unfortunately the 1-year rebuild on the boat has turned into a 4-year rebuild that necessitated gutting the interior down to the stringers to deal with rot. Budget tells me that the money isn't there this year for a new several-thousand-dollar transmission, so what are your thoughts folks?
Old 02-13-2011

ncarter is on a distinguished road
shift fork

I have a spare tranny.. left over from a repowering.. send me a PM if you are still in need. : neal_carter@verizon.net
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook