Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-06-2011

sundownersc is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 2QM15

Hi, Question about a 2QM15 that's for sale locally. Raw water cooled, 3500 hours on it , can be seen running and the guy's asking $600. I want to replace my inboard but my concern is availability of parts. Can a guy still get pistons, sleeves, valves , all the bits and pieces for these engines if it was needed or are parts hard to come by. A quick search online didn't show much. Don't know wether to bite on this one. Any info appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
The Exhaust Manifold is no longer available (and that's the one area where corrosion is a big issue with the raw water cooling); I think pistons, sleeves, etc... can still be gotten. You might check with the Yanmar distributor in your geographic region (e.g. Torresen Marine Diesel Direct, Mack Boring and Parts,....) Great engines, although they have been out of production for 30 years now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 03-28-2011

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
I agree. Some parts you can't get anymore. I had to have my Exhaust Manifold reworked and cleaned up to get a corrosion problem fixed. Make sure you can get parts in your area.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 03-29-2011
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
I see the term exhaust manifold being used and described as no longer available. Is that term being interchanged with mixing elbow? If so, when did the mixing elbow become no longer available? I just replaced mine with a new one a few months ago. Should I stock up if I can buy others?
Old 03-29-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
No, exhaust manifold and mixing elbow are two different things.

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 03-29-2011
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount View Post
No, exhaust manifold and mixing elbow are two different things.
I know they are two different things. Just looking for clarification. On this forum and others I've seen the terminology improperly used on occaision. I had not heard the exhaust manifolds were no longer available. Good to know.

Last edited by FarCry; 03-29-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2011

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
On Yanmar 2QM15 engines, the "word on the street" is that they start to rot at the bottom mounting bolts on the exhaust manifold first, so you need to keep an eye out for corrosion there. I was having my engine serviced for oil, filters, fuel filters, transmission fluid, zincs, etc and paid a little extra for an entire engine checkout. They found the bottom two bolts nearly rotted through on mine, and had to cut the heads off to remove the manifold. They then had to drill and tap the remaining bolts to get them out. There was a lot of scale in the exhaust manifold, so they did a acid bath, cleaned it all up, resurfaced it, and put in a new mixing elbow as well and some piping to get it all cleaned up. Engine runs really nice now. They also repainted it after cleaning the exterior so I could track any future corrosion. I found a few exhaust water hoses that need to be replaced due to coming in contact with the exhaust riser, but I can tackle that.

At any rate, they looked for a new exhaust manifold but there were none available on the market, so they had it cleaned and machined and it works like a champ.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 12-24-2011

jcboyce is on a distinguished road
In regards to the Yanmar 2qm15, raw water cooled for $600.

You can either go to an after market parts dealer or a Yanmar distributor.
The later can drive you crazy until you realize the are limited to their district. I beleave there is a find a local distributor on Yanmars Web Sit. The free download manuals for that enginge were closed about a year & a half ago.

The parts catalon is the hard one. On the internet on another sit, they have a parts catalog with picture, so you get the correct part, other wise I think the parts catalog is $28.

If you see it run , check the water out put, & the bloch tamp. avoid the manifold, the engine generats 400 degres. You are looking for cloged water passages.

To summerize, parts are available, Not cheap, but available.
Personaly I like thhe 2qm beter then the 2 gm when it comes to raw water cooling because the 2gm raw water cooling, has no marine manifold cooling the exhaust. If you can break the code yanmar tractor parts are cheap. but getting from conversion is hard, If possible. the dealors don't know.

For 600 I would probably buy it. remember if you are converting from, an E-15 infected system, it takes more then just an engine. concidering what E-10 did It's worth it.

Boyce
Old 12-24-2011

As to the 2qm15 lower studes corroding. As an old man, let me point out that raw water systems listed rodding out the manafold once a year until about the 80s.

I find that Exhaust manifolds & risers, exposed to salt water, need service or replacement every 3 or 4 years unless you run the to total failure.

I not long ago found an exhaust manafold for a 1937 kermith sea flyer install at Fellows & Stuart in LA Harbor in 1937. so I find it hard to beleave they are not available. I have to think it was more of a mater of cost. If you want to cut expenses convert to fresh water cooling and change the anti freez every year.

Boyce
Old 01-29-2012

As to parts for the 2qm15 I have 2011 catalogs for the engine. Yanmar has come up with anything I was willing to pay for, except the exhaust manafold, But I saw it in an after market in the lasl year.
Yanmars parts man thinks it's in the Bar catalog, I thought was osco. but I have not seen a new exhaust manafold I think the 2gm might be adapted if it won't fit from the start. but I beleave it's dry stacked. The 2qm15 gasket has 2 gaskets I looked at the 2GM when I was working on it about 1/5/12.
If you can work on it your self. Play with it. for 600 it's a steal as long as its runnung and cooling.
JC Boyce

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.