Yanmar spares kit good idea? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-22-2011 Thread Starter

Yanmar spares kit good idea?

Are pre-assembled spares kits, like this one: https://www.pyacht.com/cgi-bin/pageg...20f3gm30f.html, a good idea, or are you getting stuff you don't need and/or paying a premium over individual parts? Or, is it missing important items you'll need for repairs underway?

We definitely want to have engine spares on board (it's a 3GM30F), but we're not sure whether this is the best option.

Where's a good place to get either the kit, or individual items?

Thanks!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-22-2011
Crealock 37

Dock
Some would depend on the type sailing you do. Long trips away from port? or just weekend stuff.

Zincs and oil filters are scheduled maintenance stuff - I don't drag them around with me.

Impeller, gaskets, screws or other items I might need to make a quick repair I certainly have on the boat at all times.

In my experience pre-made kits tend to be handiest for putting money in the cash register -- you would probably be better off deciding what YOU need as spares and making up your own kit.

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-22-2011

It looks to me like you need all of those items so just compare costs to buy individually but that does not look like a bad price.

Another good on line source is Torresen Marine.

Gary
post #4 of 10 Old 03-22-2011 Thread Starter

Well, we need to move the boat from South Carolina to North Carolina, but after that, mostly cruising the NC sounds with jaunts to Cape Lookout, etc.

I've never owned or messed with a Yanmar or any diesel for that matter, so I'm not sure what would be needed (other than what's listed in the kits). I've worked on other motors (cars, Yammie 150 OB, etc.), so I'm pretty sure I can get to know may way around relatively quickly, but I'm still in the bootstrap mode.

Are there manual options (like Haynes for cars, etc.)? A good source?

TY!
post #5 of 10 Old 03-22-2011
Pearson 303

I think the kits tend to have more than you need, especially if you are not going offshore for long periods of time where you need to be completely self-sufficient. When it comes to maintenance items like water pump impellers, for instance, we replace every year and then keep the old one as a spare in case of an emergency. I strongly suggest that you get the Yanmar manuals. I have both the parts and service manuals and use them all the time. I bought aftermarket manuals right after we bought the boat, thinking I'd save some money, and now they just sit on the shelf. Instead of the aftermarket manuals, get a book like Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual and it will cover everything in the aftermarket manuals plus A LOT more. That and the factory manuals will have you covered from stem to stern.

EDIT - I just looked at that kit and it is pretty much just a seasonal maintenance kit. I'd also suggest getting Gates GreenStripe belts instead of the Yanmar belts (made by Mitsubishi). The Gates belts are much better quality and won't shed dust like the Yanmar ones do. Aftermarket oil filters should also be fine (although I personally get the Yanmar ones just because of convenience). The air filter element just needs to be cleaned each year, not replaced.

Last edited by SVCarolena; 03-22-2011 at 03:10 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-22-2011 Thread Starter

What's a good source for the Yanmar manuals and Gates belts?
post #7 of 10 Old 03-23-2011

Seems like they left out a bunch of stuff if your going for a long cruise. Engine cooling hoses and gaskets. I would make up your own. Oil filters and fuel filters oil belts and Impellers. You need maint parts if your goint to be ON a long cruise were you will run more than 100 hours (winter in Bahamas) You dont want to pay the customs charges for parts you didnt bring. But that kit seems like its not enough. IMHO
post #8 of 10 Old 03-23-2011
Reward for lost Kraken!

With any kind of RUBBER spare parts, it is a good idea to dust them with talc (plain talcum powder, not scented, not cornstarch) and then seal them up in heavy plastic, to prevent oxidixation. The rubber parts supposedly have a life of just 5 years, used or not used, and preventing oxidation extends that. the talc seals the surface, without affecting anything else.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-24-2011
Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkins61 View Post
What's a good source for the Yanmar manuals and Gates belts?
Manuals I've ordered online through Torrensen Marine (although whether they can ship to you depends on your location as Yanmar enforces defined sales and distribution areas). The belts I ordered through Amazon after I found the right ones on the Gates website.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-07-2011

If this is your first time with this boat, I would suggest you replace all filters, fuel and oil. If the fuel tanks are low, drain and refill them.Change oil Change the impeller. bring extra impeller and several fuel filters. Newly aquired boats often have fuel problrms. Its easer to replace now than in the sound.
Highly suggest you get towing insurance, west marine is one, see who handles your area.

That derelict boat was another dream for somebody else, don't let it be your nightmare and a waste of your life.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.