Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011

RLMToronto is on a distinguished road
Yanmar Transmission Leak

Wondering if anyone has replaced the rear transmission seal (leaking just before where it couples to the prop shaft) on a Yanmar 3hm35f in a Pacific Seacraft 34. I'm guessing that the tranny will actually need to be removed to do so but was hoping not. I have the service manual but it is not as detailed as hoped. It appears to me that the tranny case cannot be removed without removing the two rear engine mounts as well.
Also wondering if anyone might have had experience, either good or bad, with a stop leak product.
Thanks in advance for any input.
LM
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2011

bfloyd825 is on a distinguished road
Did that on my Endeavour32 with a 2QM20. Not too bad a job. Just mark the coupling and slide it back a little. Then remove the coupling from the transmission. You can then pop the seal with a screwdriver. Take the seal to a bearing shop and they can usually read the number on the seal and give you a rePlacement for about 5$. Reverse the process to install. The worst part is the limited room to work in the engine room. Look at a parts manual to see how it all works. Not too bad anon if you are a wrench type person. Make sure you have plenty of rags aand a small container to catch the old oil so that it does not go all over your bilge area.
Old 03-26-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a sound plan. You could remove the oil before starting with a pump to save spillage and possible contamination.
Check there are no rough spots along the shaft prior to reassembly as the seal face is very sensitive. Some clean oil on the shaft will also help. Rotate the seal as you push forward will help keep the seal face from jamming and getting damaged or nicked.
Safe sailing
Old 03-27-2011

Progress

Thanks for your suggestions. I got the coupling off of the shaft today, which exposes the seal and it does indeed look like it will pop out the back. Will attempt to do so later this week. I was surprised to see that the seal runs against the coupling itself, not output shaft.
Also took the stuffing box off, as I need to push the cutlass bearing down/back. There were no locking pins to keep it in place so I guess it worked its way up a bit. The rubber part of the stuffing box seems to be in good shape. Is it wise to replace it at this point regardless? The boat is a 1990 and I suspect this is original equipment.
Thanks.
Old 03-28-2011

bfloyd825 is on a distinguished road
The cutlass bearing on my Endeavour has 2 small set screws that hold it in. You may have to clean the strut some to find them.
Old 03-28-2011

The PS Crealock doesn't use a strut, it is a tube built into the structure, but the same idea. Mine currently has two holes for the set screws, but no set screws, and I can see the cutlass bearing up inside the tube about an inch. So I need to push it down from the inside using some 1" pvc tubing over the shaft. (As described in some other posts right here on Sailnet.)
Old 03-28-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Yanmar V Drive

Would any of you know how the oil seal is arranged on a yanmar Kanzaki v-drive? I have the 3gmd. Looks like boat prop shaft goes through a hole in the transmission then attaches to the engine coupling. I cannot even understand how the rotation is transferred to the shaft let alone what type of oil seal there would be.
Thanks