SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Yanmar transmission dipstick question

23K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  jeffhouseman1967 
#1 ·
My 2gm20f has the Kanzaki trans. The little dipstick has one mark on it about a quarter inch up from the bottom and a hole up near the top. Is the oil level supposed to be between the bottom and the mark, or between the mark and the upper hole?

#6 ·
And be careful with that cap screwdown. I've managed to strip my threads right off and rip off the thumbscrew.

How to get it out, I have no idea right now :(
I've done this same thing! There's no need to tighten it more than with light fingers.

I have been advised to keep my 30wt oil level for my Kanzaki transmission at the mark that appears bout 1/4" from the bottom of the probe and to check this level without the dip stick screwed in, but just seated against the opening. ......5,170hrs on my 4JH3E and treating me very well! Take care and joy, Aythya crew

#4 ·
Yep, anywhere between the marks is good. The marks are indicating no-go areas, no lower than the bottom and no fuller than the top. The level will in any case change with the temperature of the gearbox, fuller when hot obviously.

#5 ·
Yep, anywhere between the marks is good
Thanks for the replies, all. My situation was I got to my boat and found that the mechanic that was working on the shaft had noticed the trans oil was low and had added to the point that the level was midway between the one mark 1/4" from the bottom of the stick and the hole a few inches away near the top. I thought that was too much.

So, between the "marks" was the problem--which marks? There is such a small space between the bottom and the one mark, but it is what I had always taken to be the small target area. Essentially you're checking for the oil to barely be on the stick. My manual says to check with the cap unscrewed, but is hazy on the marks. The trans only takes between .25 and .3 liters of oil, a little over a cup.

I removed about 4 ounces to bring it down to the mark at the bottom of the stick, which I take to be the "top".

#7 ·
Well there you go, another for on the mark. Makes me nervous when mechanics don't know this stuff. And thanks both of you for the warning on overtightening. Noted.

#11 ·
The cap should not be screwed down and the oil should be AT the 1/4" mark, not above. The manual specifically notes to not overfill the tranny which is easy to do. My pet peeve is that it is next to impossible to see the darned oil on the stubby little dipstick. If you put some magic marker or something on it, it makes it a little easier.

#12 ·
I unscrew the dip stick, wipe off, place the dip stick in without screwing down, pull out dip stick and just touch the bottom of the dip stick to a clean white/light colored paper towel. If I see oil on the paper towel then it is at the correct level.

#15 ·
Just replaced Oil Pan Hunter 420 got to know the engine much more. Looking at the raw water cooling system the way the hoses circulate cooling water is confusing.
On the trip to the club 8 hrs motoring (wind on the nose) I felt the tranny, pretty hot felt the cooling lines I didn't feel any difference in temperature.
Any experience on how hot a transmission gets?
Cheers
Gary and Mary

#16 ·
My story: I was stuck in Cabo San Lucas having traveled from San Francisco with no problem, and suddenly had a badly slipping Kanzaki 35 KMP gearbox. Casting about on threads like this, I found there was confusion on how to measure the oil level. Some said to screw the dipstick in to get an accurate reading. Almost all said to rest the threads of the stick on top of the case and get the reading. My manual said to 'fully insert' the dipstick; could have been more clear, I thought. Using my phone, I took an image to the gearbox stamped information, and read that I needed to use 20 or 30 wt. oil, and just 0.35 liters of it. I had to use a long narrow straw on an epoxy syringe to get all the oil out. I then added the correct amount of oil and ran it at idle rpm in gear. 20 minutes later the slipping stopped, and I was able to return to San Francisco without issue. I believe that draining all the old oil out, and adding just the correct (as stamped on the gearbox) amount of straight 20 (below freezing temps?) or 30 weight oil could be the answer to many. Note: on my gearbox, screwing the dipstick in was accurate. Check this on your gearbox by measuring the stick reading after adding the correct amount of oil. Too much oil makes the gearbox slip. Greg with Baja Marine in La Paz put me on the right course over the phone. I paid him for his time, and it was the best money I ever spent on the boat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.