Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011

sailarol is on a distinguished road
Cool I just introduced my girlfriend to my wife... Help!!!

Her name is Morgan, and her measurements are 35, 11, 4'11. The PO describes her as a 35' with a Westerbeke, 3 cyl 25 HP diesel. However, the title says she is 35' 4", and Westerbeke has a 24HP and 26HP 3 cyl from what I've seen around, but I find no 25HP 3 cyl. I've hunted around for the Morgan website looking for more details on that boat and engine info, but no luck. She needs a lot of work in the interior, including returning her from the PO rigged straight drive configuration to v-drive powered propulsion; I need to get the engine off the dinning table and back in it's compartment. She also needs work on her 12v electrical and plumbing. Better understanding how those systems were originally laid out would be of great help as I work to return it all back to where it belongs. The PO is a very old seaman, but don't yet need to sit on the potty while I man the helm; I'd rather have it back in the head. Here are my questions? Where can I find the hull #? Where can I find systems schematics, diagrams, layout plans? How can I more clearly identify the Westerbeke to insure that I do have adequate power? Is 25 big enough for my lady? Any information or links to sites that would provide this information will be greatly appreciated. As you can see, my lady has a lot of needs, and this is one instance in which I won't mind sharing. Thanks, Arol
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2011
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
this should help! You may be obsessing about things. get her surveyed. most likely you have to for insurance anyway. 25-26 hp should be right for power.. plumbing... well that's not rocket science. Electrical, again.. something you work on and "improve" on your own. Good luck!

Sailboat Designs of Charles*Morgan

Morgan Models

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2011
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Yeah.. multiple Threads will get you answers too.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2011

Thanks Denise. You answered my most pressing question on the adequacy of power. On the issue of multiple threads, I tried not to abuse it. Is that a no-no? Is so, please let me now directly. Thanks. I've followed the link you suggested, which I had also picked up on the other thread as well. The boats described there as Morgan 35's don't appear to match my boat. I guess I'll now more after I received the survey report. Thanks again. Arol
Old 05-07-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Is it rash to assume there will be a title issued for the boat? And that there's a HIN (hull identification number) embedded in the hull, as required for all vessels built after 1972-ish.

If there's a HIN, get it. That will identify the exact maker, year of construction, and model of the vessel. Decoding instructions easily found online.

You know the PO wasn't afraid to do major work, so don't assume ANYTHING is "stock" without confirming it. The differences may be small and insignificant, but if you try to order a replacement sail and find out the PO also replaced the boom with one a couple of inches shorter...ooops. Gotta go custom.
Old 05-08-2011

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
Same thing about the electrical system. Many improvements over the past 30 years that you woulod do well to install instead of going back to the Dark Ages and then starting all over again.

West Marine Advisors are a great place to start, then browse through some electrical books, as well as this forum.

The West Advisor: West Advisor Articles

You mentioned Westerbeke. Universal made popular diesel engines. 3 cylinders were the M25 21 hp, M25 XP 23 hp. Lots of people have confused the model # with the horsepower.
Old 05-08-2011

Thanks hellosailor and Stu Jackson for the guidance posts. Much appreciated.