Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Racor Micron Rating

I'm in the process of swapping out the Dahl filter for a Racor 200 series unit. It came with a 2 micron filter. I understand that a 2 will clog up sooner than a 10, but is there any problem with running a 2 micron primary filter? Will the 2 micron filter cause a fuel flow problem since the filter is on the suction side of the pump. The engine is a Yanmar 3GM30F.

Unless folks here convince me to continue with a 2 micron filter I plan on using a 10 micron for the primary, they just don't have any in stock today.

Thanks in advance.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
I used a 2 micron on a smaller 18hp Perkins for 9 months (~100 hours) without problem, tank was clean and fuel was fresh at the start, Also a 200 series Racor.
Old 05-25-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
The Racor 200 series filter used as a primary on my 3GM30F had a 30 micron element on it when I bought the boat. I have continued that practice. I wouldn't go below 10 micron for the primary since if you get some bad fuel it will clog quickly.
Old 05-25-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I am with Jim...30 on my primary...2 on my secondary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ôSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.ö- Dennis Conner
Old 05-25-2011

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Have heard that the 2 micron on primary filter puts a strain on fuel pump leading to premature failure. So I use
30 on primary. Been meaning to call Mack Boring to confirm.
Old 05-26-2011
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
As follow up...

I was able to talk to an experienced live-aboard here and he uses a 2 micron as his primary and hasn't had any issues.

I have a couple 10 micron otw, will most likely switch to the 10 just for peace of mind.

We tend to get good quality fuel here in Seward. My boat,until today, was equipped with a Dahl primary. After the Dahl was a "mystery filter". This MF was appeared to be a standard water separator type filter. It has a metal can with a drain plug on the bottom. The PO (had the boat 6 years) never had this MF open, I've not been able to open it in the 2 years I've had the boat. (Scary huh )

I installed the Racor and removed the MF. When I dumped the contents of the MF in a pan there was a considerable amount of clear water followed by brown water with particles and finally what had the appearance of cottage cheese. The MF appears to have been original equipment on the boat (1986).

Thanks for the replies.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

Old 05-26-2011

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
the yanmar secondary on-engine filter supplied with their engine is, as i recall 19 micron. this is what yanmar specify to protect the fuel system on the engine. a 30 micron is all that is required. no point in using a filter to protect a filter!
Old 05-26-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.furborough View Post
the yanmar secondary on-engine filter supplied with their engine is, as i recall 19 micron. this is what yanmar specify to protect the fuel system on the engine. a 30 micron is all that is required. no point in using a filter to protect a filter!
I think many of the aftermarket filters for Yanmar are 19 nominal but the Yanmar brand are spec'd at 10-15 micron nominal. A 30 micron to protect a 10-15 micron on-engine is a good option for multi-stage filtering. You can also use a 10 but then you really have just one filter doing all the work.

Racor marks the 2 micron filters as R12S. The "S" stand for secondary. The 10 micron is marked R12T which is suggested for a "primary" or "secondary" applications and the 30 micron is marked R12P or "primary" for primary filtering..

Here's a link to Torresen which rates the Yanmar filter as 10-15 Micron.
Yanmar 104500-55710 Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts

The Yanmar filter specs out of the manuals I have are as follows:

Micron Rating: 10-15μ
Material: Cotton Fiber
Filtering Area: 333 cm2

The engine is designed to run at a 15 micron nominal filter mesh rating. Using a 2 micron filter can work your pump harder and potentially lead to a plugged filter but only when you absolutely don't want it to plug.. It never plugs when tied to the dock, Murphy makes sure of that..

ę Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-26-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-02-2011

saildog1 is on a distinguished road
I work for a large construction company and all the diesel mechanics say go with the 3 micron or you'll have injector issues down the line. I always use a 3 micron for 30 years now. No pums or injectors have been replaced.
Old 06-02-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Ive been deeply involved in 'filtration engineering' for over 40 years, including indirect work with and for the 'parent' of Racor.

The acknowledged most damaging particle in a marine diesel is ~20ÁM.

Typical set up for marine diesel engines (unless otherwise specified by the engine mfgr.) is tank --> 30ÁM --> 10ÁM --> 15-17ÁM for the (very small) engine 'guard' filter --> engine.
It takes a lot of WORK to make such filters operate. A 2ÁM (of equal surface area) will have 1/5th the flow rate capacity (vs. differential pressure across the filter) of a 10ÁM. To operate at the designed (WOT) flow rate of a 10ÁM a 2ÁM will have 5 TIMES the pressure drop across it; OR, must have 5 TIMES the surface area to equate to the resistance or on stream service life of the 10ÁM.
High differential pressure across a 2ÁM can lead to 'exponentially earlier' plugging with debris and significant work load on the lift pump and may cause premature lift pump diaphragm FAILURE. There are exponentially MORE particles at the 'finer' ÁM distribution size range ... .

Simple speak: putting a 2ÁM (nominal) filter in place of a normally used 10ÁM will cause premature plugging (approximately 10 times 'faster' or at ~1/10 of the total amount of fuel filtered before plugging), undue load on the lift pump, etc. etc.

The small engine mounted guard filter should be LARGER in ÁM retention size the next 'upstream' filter in the sequence. Its there 'only' to stop debris if the upstream filters FAIL... a 'last chance' filter.

If you somehow erroneously feel that using a 2ÁM is required for 'your' system, it should be preceded by a 10ÁM, the 10ÁM should be preceded by a 30ÁM .... all these 'prefilters' are to extend the onstream service life of the immediate downstream filter. All filters add to the overall workload on the engine's lift pump.

Modification of the 'typical' system should only be based on system operational history of total gallons filtered before plugging (in accordance to recorded 'history' of total gallons filtered vs. WOT volumetric flow in gallons per hour vs. differential (gage) pressure across each filter).

On most marine diesel engines a 2ÁM filter HAS NO TECHNICAL REASON to be in the filter train.

Maintain and clean the internals of the tank on a regular basis, buy only 'fresh' fuel from high turnover supply sources .... and you wont be 'challenging' the filters with a lot of debris.

Last edited by RichH; 06-02-2011 at 05:01 PM.