Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012

Captn Scotty is on a distinguished road
Re: Westerbeke L25 (Watermota Sea Panther) Wanted

Thanks for the additional info Nigel, knowledge is a valuable tool! Its very ironic that you should mention fuel pumps, since my engine seems to be getting fuel into the crank case. The last owner bypassed the mechanical pump and installed an electric pump, and I am now wondering if this is the problem? Have you ever heard of this happening to others? The only things I can think that might cause this are, a seal in the injector pump or, fuel getting past the valves? Maybe I need to go back to the old pump and see what happens? any insight into this issue would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2012

Nigelbaker10 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Nigelbaker10 Send a message via Skype™ to Nigelbaker10

Hi Scotty,
I have not heard of fuel getting into the oil before. And certainly not an electrical pump being fitted. Is it attached to the the same locator studs as the original mechanical pump? I am not convinced it would be coming from there unless there is seepage from the mechanical part of the pump past the gasket into the sump. Not sure also about the injector pump, they have very tight seals. It MAY be possible to seep past the value guides but they would have to be very worn to do that - say 4 to 5 thousand hours on the engine. It could be possible that unburnt fuel from a dodgy injector may contaminate oil that gets circulated in the cylinder bores. The injectors in these older engines do need to be serviced regularly. I would start with this: It is an easy job to remove them, then send them to any diesel service shop for cleaning and possible injector tip replacement. It made a great difference to my engine. You don't really need to re-bleed the fuel system when re-installing the injectors. just loosen the first two fuel inlets to the injectors, turn the engine over until fuel spurts from the coupling, tighten up again and she should fire. Try the injector cleaning first.
Hope this helps.
Nigel.
Old 01-10-2014

DesmoDave is on a distinguished road

I am very late to this thread and i am from Vancouver BC Canada...

But also have this engine in my Crown 34 sailboat, built in approx 1978 in North Vancouver. I love this engine but also have challenges finding spares.

It has a Hurst transmission.

David Fleming
bankondata@gmail.com
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Old 01-12-2014

aquamanhf@aim.com is on a distinguished road

Greetings Warmota L25 owners.

I have a 1979 islander 32 with the L25 and I had a runaway. Nothing seems to have broken though and I managed to shut it down. The mystery is WHY. I have not tried to restart it and winterized it on the hard until march or so.

Because of the difficulty and cost of parts I have pretty well decided to repower with a new (er) engine. Maybe a BETA marine. Anyway, I will be removing the engine and transmission this spring and offer it for sale and a running engine. It can be used for parts or someone can try a rebuild if you want. I am actually communicating with a Westerbeke dealer to find the cost of a remanufacture of the L25.

I am interested in talking to anyone about this engine or if someone has done a replacement and what will fit or a reliable rebuilder. I have just completed a 1.5 year total resurrection of this Islander including installing A/C and heat. Next is solar panels and a wind generator. A good engine and I'm off to see the world.

I plan some extensive cruising this year to Bahamas and maybe on to Central America. Need a trustworthy engine, EH?

The boat is located in Demopolis Alabama until Oct. 2014.

You can write to me directly at aquamanhf@aim.com or repost here.

Harry
Old 01-17-2014

Captn Scotty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDave View Post
I am very late to this thread and i am from Vancouver BC Canada...

But also have this engine in my Crown 34 sailboat, built in approx 1978 in North Vancouver. I love this engine but also have challenges finding spares.

It has a Hurst transmission.

David Fleming
bankondata@gmail.com
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Hi Dave! I have all the parts manuals, and shipping info for your engine if you like. It's amazing how fast the parts arrive from England, I can order on a monday and the parts are on my door friday morning. You can't get a package from downtown that fast! Shoot me an email if you're interested at scottgarside@gmail.com...Cheers!