Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011

ncw is on a distinguished road
Westerbeke L25 (Watermota Sea Panther) Wanted

My Bristol 32 has an old (1977) Westerbeke L25 (Watermota Sea Panther) engine in it. It works well and I have kept up with the maintenance. But...

I would like to find a discarded one (after repowering) so I could have a source of parts. If you can assist please email me at nateweeks3@gmail.com or followup with leads to this thread. I have a Wanted to Buy posting on Craigslist with more details see Old Westerbeke Marine Engine and Transmission for Parts.

Again, mine runs well with about 1200 hours on it We just took it to Bar Harbor Maine from Cape Cod and motored most of the way
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2011
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Can't help you find one, did see one on eBay a few years ago. But want to say that it is a great engine. I had one on my Westerly Centaur. Strong, smooth running. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2011

Thanks Trekka, words of encouragement are always appreciated.

I also just received a response to my Craigs List add and thay may be repowering their L25 this fall. Hopefully they will remember me.

I don't think there are alot of them around. I feel a bit like an old British car enthusist keeping an old 1977 British motor running.
Old 07-11-2011
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
One reason they are not so common here was that Westerbeke imported the engine, but did not support it. I met a few mechanics who grumbled or rolled their eyes when I mentioned this engine.

At the time, the most common engines of this size were the Volvo-Penta's - and we know how well they turned out support-wise for the long run... but at the time their parts were readily available and everyone was familiar with them.

Keep an active search on eBay. I have seen them there.
Old 03-09-2012

Nigelbaker10 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Nigelbaker10 Send a message via Skype™ to Nigelbaker10
Re: Westerbeke L25 (Watermota Sea Panther) Wanted

I have just joined Sailnet and am looking for members who have the Westerbeke (Watermota) L25 engine so that I can share expertise. I have owned a 1976 bristol 32 with the L25 diesel engine for the last 23 years and have accumulated a lot of knowledge on the L25 engine. The engine in my boat coupled with the J type reduction gearbox has given reliable performance these last 23 years with a few ( self induced ) problems that were fixed. At this time I am looking at some repair maintenance on my J box after some mis-alignment and sea water ingression from the stern gland. The engine and gearbox are still supported in the UK by two marine shops. Believe it or not the engine and transmission is still in wide use on boats on the river Thames. Please contact me if you require info on this engine.
Old 05-06-2012

Hi Nigelbaker10,

Yes, I would be very interested in connecting with you and others around the L25.

As I indicated I am looking for an old one for parts, but I will need some advice as well.

Please contact me at my work email of Nate.weeks@ghd.com
Old 05-06-2012

Hi Nigelbaker10,

I am new as well and still learning my way around. Yes, I would like to connect with others for this engine. Mine works well too. I am looking for an old one for parts. Please email me at my work email address as I dont use this space much.

Many thanks, Nate
Old 06-21-2012

Send a message via Yahoo to Nigelbaker10 Send a message via Skype™ to Nigelbaker10

Hi,
I have just spotted your posting. I also have a Bristol 32 powered with the L25. I have owned my boat for over 20 years and the engine has given good service. In fact I find it more robust than the modern 'tinny' engines. Being British I have good contacts with the very few marine enterprises over there that still support the L25, which by the way was developed and sold by Watermota in the UK. My email is: Nigelbaker10@yahoo.com
Feel free to email for any advice and history on this make.
Regards.
Nigel Baker
Old 06-22-2012

Captn Scotty is on a distinguished road

I bought an Islander with a L25/Watermota, and have been buying parts from Stephenson marine in Devon England for way cheaper than prices here. I discovered that the engine is a diesel conversion of a 70's ford cortina 1600cc engine...hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2012

Hi Scotty,
Thanks for getting in contact. I am fully knowledgeable on the L25, having serviced mine for the last 22 years and know Stephensen Marine very well, having ordered parts from them before. I also deal with Sheridan Marine who are also knowledgeable on Watermota and still rebuild J type gearboxes. I have also attached a thread I am running with Nate, another L25 owner. It would be good to keep in contact to share maintenance tips with the engine. My email address is: nigelbaker10@yahoo.com

Cheers.
Nigel Baker

Thread with Nate:
It is good to connect with a fellow Bristol 32 owner, and with the same mechanicals. I am very familiar with the L25 engine and gearbox, having maintained mine for over 22 years. The engine is based on the UK ford 1600 cross-flow engine officially named the Kent engine and it powered many types of Ford car and only recently replaced by new designs. The engine even powered the Lotus elan twin cam as well as the ford cortina, ford Anglia and other models. The Kent engine was an extremely rugged, reliable and flexible unit. The Marine engineering company Watermota jointly with Exeter University took the Kent engine and developed a diesel marine version and called it the Sea Panther supporting two types of gearbox, a Hurth and a Watermota J type. Watermota subsequently licensed the engine to be sold in the US by Westerbeke as the L25

One option for the Bristol 32 was to be powered by the L25 coupled with the J type gearbox, as installed on our boats. Although people may now 'sneer' at such an old engine from the UK, the unit is in fact extremely rugged and reliable if service is maintained properly and will last for several thousand hours of service without major overhaul. The J tyope gearbox is also very reliable as long as you service it regularly, and most important, maintain good propeller shaft alignment with the gearbox output shaft (should be ok with about 3 thou mating gap).

Watermota stopped making the engine many years ago, and spares are getting harder to find, but I have built up some good connections in the UK. Believe it or not the engine is still used on boats on the Thames river, and still doing good service in some sailboats in the UK. The J type gearbox is also still in wide use on the Thames River.

My connections include Sheridan Marine in the UK who still manufacture and recondition the J type gearbox.
Stephenson Marine in the UK who recondition and sell the Sea Panther (L25) engine.
I have also located a used marine parts dealer in the UK who knows the engine and can find spares - In fact I have just located a J type gearbox that I am going to recondition for my boat ( my gearbox prop output shaft is worn - probably due to previous mis-alignment or rope round the prop)
I have also located a used engine at a local Westerbeke dealer here on the west coast who is willing to sell it in parts as spares

Finally I have just rebuilt my fuel lift pump and have a couple of spares that I will recondition - if you need one just let me know