Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-20-2011

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
Bumping/Thumping Noise-Advice Needed

Could use a little advice here -- I've got a 1980 Volvo MD7A that I'm worried about. When in gear, there is often a low tone thumping or banging sound that seems to be coming from the rear of the boat, but I can't pinpoint where. The thumps are rhythmic, about 3 or 4 a second. The thumps will vary in volume, will be loud for a few seconds then quiet down a little. I've heard these thumps before, noticed them most when in waves (figured it was water covering the exhaust port, which is right at the waterline and easily submerged). But the thumps seem to be worse now and happening all the time. I can feel the thumping in the hull, it's almost like someone is hitting the hull with a rope or something. Increasing throttle increases the volume of the thumps but rhythm stays the same.

The engine itself seems to run fine, plenty of power but now it is generating grey/white smoke at higher RPMs which I did not notice before. I just hauled out by the way, and cleaned the prop, shaft, installed new zincs, oil change, impeller change.

Please advise, I'm about to leave on a week long trip. Is this potentially damaging to the engine to run it this way? My gut tells me this is an exhaust issue ("water hammer?") Thanks!

Last edited by FishFinder; 06-20-2011 at 03:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2011

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
White smoke usually indicates steam or unburned fuel.Most likely bad injector.Other possibility low compression,however this is usually a gradual process.LOL enjoy trip.marc
Old 06-20-2011

LakePirate is on a distinguished road
Does it make the noise when the engine is running while in the slip or just while under way?
Old 06-20-2011

sck5 is on a distinguished road
check the alignment?
Old 06-20-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Check your engine mounts! Sounds like one or more may have failed.
Old 06-20-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

IMHO your cutlass bearing is worn. That allows the shaft to move around and you can hear a thumping sound as it hits the strut.

If you have a fixed blade prop you can test this. pick a day when can sail quickly, say 5 kts or so. Turn the engine off and leave the trans in neutral. check the shaft to make sure it's still turning. If you hear the thumping, place the trans in reverse. When the shaft stops turning the thumping will stop. Now place the trans into neutral. Do you hear the thumping when the shaft is turning? If so, it's the cutlass bearing that is worn out.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Assuming this is happening when in gear, I'd be thinking something in the drivetrain, including engine mounts, as someone else suggested. If it happens even when not in gear, engine mounts would be #1. I had a thumping noise when in gear after installation of new shaft and new cutlass. Turned out the shaft wasn't true--the wobble caused the thumping sound. I would bet that a bad cutlass bearing would do similar.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 06-20-2011
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Like others have said, it sounds like either a bad motormount (replaced ours this year), allignment, or (most likely) a worn shaft bearing. If you can get your hands on the prop underwater, try to move it around. Also take a look at the shaft while it is turning, in gear, under load, to see if it is bounding around. Lots of things can cause these types to symptoms, so it is difficult to diagnose without more info, but at least you have a few good places to start.
Old 06-20-2011

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
OK thanks for the responses. I just did some tests --thumping does not happen with boat in gear at dock. Does not happen in neutral. I got boat up to speed, and put engine in neutral (prop was spinning) and no thumping. The thumping DOES seem directly related to the exhaust port being underwater. Hit a wave, and when the stern pushes into the water, thumping gets loud. Over the wave and stern raises above water, thumping disappears. The stern "squats" when underway and this pushes the exhaust port underwater sometimes. Yesterday I had people on board (I usually sail solo) and this may have pushed the stern down a bit more than usual, hence the thumping was a lot worse. Not sure how to fix this ... seems like it would be bad for the engine (backpressure)?

I posted some videos I took today of my engine running while underway, would love if you guys could have a look and let me know if you see anything awry:

MD7A_Video

Last edited by FishFinder; 06-20-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
It appears that your boat has a water lift style muffler/mixer...if so...you may be looking at a broken baffle as you indicate the periodic thump gets worse when the thru-hull is submerged...that would put more back pressure on your exhaust system and perhaps cause something loose in the waterlift/mixer to do the thumping...I think that is what I see in your rear engine segment...

Contrary to the others, I do not think it is shaft or bearing, as it does not happen at the dock...were something out of whack there, one would think you would see it any time the engine is running

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.