Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011

wumhenry is on a distinguished road
Question do I have a clutch problem?

I bought a used Marshall 22 recently. The Yanmar 2GM20 runs fine, but sometimes I lose power to the prop. This happened four times in two days when returning, mostly under power, to Galesville MD from Smith Island, the last time I had it out. The first time, I thought I might've snagged a crabpot, so put out the anchor and went over the side for a look-see. All I found was a little eelgrass wrapped around the prop shaft. I plucked it off, and that seemed to solve the problem, at least temporarily. The next two times I went overboard again and again found nothing amiss except some eelgrass wrapping on the shaft, and again was able to proceed after removing it. The last time it happened in the middle of the Bay, and I was reluctant to go overboard, so I shifted between neutral, slow reverse, and slow forward a few times in hope that this might throw off any wrapped eelgrass; this also seemed to work.

I'm assuming that the clutch slips or disengages whenever eelgrass gets wrapped on the shaft. This shouldn't happen, should it? I.e., something must be wrong with the clutch or transmission, no?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like a transmission problem, but what is your transmission? Most inboards would be some type of automatic transmission, in which case it might need fluid, or have the wrong fluid in it, or have a glazed clutch, or simply one not adjusted properly.

You'll need to find out what is in there, and if some fluid checks and adjustment don't cure it, it might be rebuild time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2011

mbsl98 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Marshall world I bought my M22 a year ago last spring and have never regretted it. I have a 3GMD in mine, but essentially the same engine transmission combo and pretty bullet proof. There is a transmission oil fill plug with dipstick under it on the top of the transmission that you should check for good measure. These don't hold much oil (less than 1 quart, if I remember right). Assuming oil level is adequate, I would focus on the engine control lever by the wheel, particularly the pull out knob that disengages the gears for fast idle, etc. If that is not fully engaging, it could do just what you are seeing. Next time it happens, before you do other things like jump overboard, try pulling the knob out and reseating it back in fully, with shift fully in neutral not in gear when you do that. When I got mine, there was quite a bit of play in that whole assembly, but very little actual wear. I was able to tighten up mine very easily after pulling the cover bezel, but most of my play was in the mounting to the bulkhead, so not exactly your position. the engine/transmission manual is on-line at Yanmar, and the folks at Torreson are a wealth of Yanmar information. If you haven't connected with Geoff Marshall at Marshall Marine, you should also do that. I have found them to be a great resource for their older boats, and very competitive for supplying all sorts of stuff like a really useful cam cleat system for the mainsheet, and a set of pre-cut teak parts to encase the centerboard trunk section that is out in the cockpit. They even have small stuff like the right lenses for the bronze running lights, replacement mast boots, hops, etc.... It is a plus that my 25 year old boat is still in production in almost exactly the same configuration as mine, as well as having the builder's yard not over an hour from home (fun place to visit).