SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Engine Mount Issues... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/76005-engine-mount-issues.html)

tkawika 07-07-2011 06:13 PM

Engine Mount Issues...

3 Attachment(s)
I had a unfortunate incident happen a week ago. The linkage between the tranny and shaft came disconnected because of the bolts coming loose and falling it out. There was a big thump thump and then nothing. Initially it looked like an easy fix, then I looked in the bilge and saw a couple of 1/2" lags and one attached to a broken piece of metal. The broken piece of metal was the corner of one of my rear engine mounts.

So I researched online and this forum for ideas. Then I looked for prices of new engine blocks. Common sense tells me, replace one replace them all. Then I looked at my existing engine blocks and found the rear's are different from the fronts. Is that usual?

The other issue is the platforms they mount too. The hiccup with the linkage lifted the whole engine up and ripped out the existing lags in the rear. Now can I just go one size up to 5/8'' lags and some epoxy in the old holes and call it a day? The woods doesn't seem damp or mushy.

Here are some picts as always thank you in advance.
TK

lshick 07-07-2011 06:37 PM

I can't say with assurance that different mounts fore and aft are "usual," but it's certainly the case with my engine.

tkawika 07-07-2011 08:09 PM

It didn't seem like a big deal. I have found the aft mounts, I think, but I can't find the fore mounts. I will keep searching..

Thanks,
TK

rikhall 07-07-2011 09:26 PM

TK

Your front mount looks like the mounts on my last engine, a Yanmar 2GM20F. Your rear mount looks like the mounts on my current motor, a Yanmar 2QM20H.

On the 2GM20F the front and rear mounts were different. On the 2QM20H they are the same.

Rik

tkawika 07-08-2011 07:39 PM

Spoke to Trevor at Torresen today and he was great. After looking at the photo's he suggested put lighter mounts (DF2205-2) on the rear and heavier duty ones for the front (DF2207-2). Both mounts are made by Bushing. The only issue on the fronts, is I am going to have to build up the platform to get the extra height needed.

With the damage to the rear mount platforms and building up the front platforms. I am wondering taking the engine out to the main cabin would be worth it. I have never taken a engine out, but I think as long I have enough room to move the engine. It shouldn't be a big issue. lol, famous last words..

TK

T37Chef 07-08-2011 07:51 PM

You can get those mounts from go2marine for much less than what Torenesens will sell them to you for I am pretty certain, I did a quick search on the DF2207-2 at go2 below.

Search Results

Edit: Looks like there isn't much difference with the mounts you need. When I was looking last year I found the manufacturer Bushings,Inc: manufacturer of bushings and marine engine mounts and torrensen was almost double for the same part? Something I have found common with them unfortunately, great support but prices can be way over.