Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011

bill m is on a distinguished road
universal M-25xp (governor)

Hello and thank you for looking at my post. Ok. Here is my situtation. I am having an issure with the motor starting. This is what i have come up with and would like someone to tell me if I am making any sence or not.

Please refer to this link if you are not sure what i am talking about.

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/ca...Group&size=600

Ok. This motor has 80 hours on it and it is clean. It will not start. I started with the norm, new fuel, bleed lines, clean injectors. Still nothing. So, I started tracking down the throtle system and pulled the injectors and got down to the two levers, (speed & stop). The 2 levers seem to be stuck in the forward position and only move together. In my mind, when starting the engine, the "stop lever" would be forward but the speed lever should move or at least be in the back position with 0% throttle. When I push the throttle forward, all that happens is the springs expand. no levers move at all. Does that sound normal?

Thanks again in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Bill,

You said you bled the lines. Not sure as to exactely you did it but you might want to check and see if you are getting a spray right at the injector after loosening the flange a little. Be carefull where your hands are there is (should) be very high pressure at this point. Did it run before and has there been any changes or work done recently? Let us know what you find.

Dabnis
Old 08-29-2011

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, the lines were bled per the spec's of the owners manual. When the hose that connects to the injector was taken all the way off, I turned the engine over. There was very little gas comming out, maybe 5 drops. Seems that the fuel pressure is very low getting to the injector, so I started to troubleshoot other things that could cause this. That is when I noticed that the rocker levers are in full open position with no resistance on the springs. This is my first desiel so I might not know that it should be that way.

This motor is in a boat that I just bought, I have never seen it run. It only has 80 hours on it, and everything is clean. I am going to put the injector pump back in today (after pulling and cleaning all the parts). Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2011

It may be easier to just take the pump to a diesel shop. There should be a good blast of fuel coming out at that location. Very likely the high pressure pump if there is adequate flow to it from the filter. You might want to check for air leaks along the whole system . Also, make sure the tank is venting properly and that the lift pump is putting out to the high pressure pump through the filter(s)? Maybe start at the tank and work towards the high pressure pump?

Dabnis
Old 08-29-2011

My last post was kind of dis-jointed, time to step back and start over. Bottom line is that there should be good flow at the suction side of the high pressure pump. If not go from the tank forward, including checking all the lines. If you finally decide to remove the high pressure pump mark the flange of the pump and mark the block at the same place so you don't have to re-time it later, assuming it was timed properly to begin with. Suggest you close the raw water valve if you are doing much cranking to prevent possible back up into the exhaust manifold. If you need to check the timing you may need timing tools.

Dabnis
Old 08-29-2011

Again, thanks for the help. Update.

Okay, everything went back together just fine. I actually thought it was going to start at one point.

The hoses (pipes) that supply fuel to the injectors to the block, is spitting about the same amount of fuel that an ear dropper would spit if it was half full. It is not spraying, only just falling out of the tube. No spray at all. Intake has huge compression, with a hand test. There was a small fuel leak from the lifter to the pump injection system in the rubber hose which was fixed. While it was not connected, I held the end of the hose, got the fuel pump going and it held pressure till it sprayed off my thumb, good pressure. After that I checked all the lines back to the fuel tank and found no leaks. You mentioned a few other suggestions that I am going to research tonight. Thanks. b.

One more thing, I did find an old water impeller so I assume the old owner had changed it. Does not looked like he had changed anything else or even attempted to.

Last edited by bill m; 08-29-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-30-2011

OK, if you have good pressure at the lift pump outlet and there is nothing between it and the high pressure pump it could be the fuel hose, if you are lucky, or something wrong with the high pressure pump. It would be easier to replace the hose and try that before working on the pump. I can't quite figure out how the governor is supposed to work from the diagram, or why it would go bad, not sure what you could do to the pump anyway, probably have to take it to a shop?

Dabnis
Old 08-30-2011

Just a quick thought, is there anything that could possiblly be electrical that would prevent it from starting? Meaning the ignition switch or the 20amp breaker or maybe something that would shut down the possible start of the engine? Glow plugs heat, all gauges come on, beeps when ignition switch is in the "on" position befor attempt to start, then pumps gas and beeps again after start attempt. maybe it is something else stupid that I am missing?
Old 08-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill m View Post
Just a quick thought, is there anything that could possiblly be electrical that would prevent it from starting? Meaning the ignition switch or the 20amp breaker or maybe something that would shut down the possible start of the engine? Glow plugs heat, all gauges come on, beeps when ignition switch is in the "on" position befor attempt to start, then pumps gas and beeps again after start attempt. maybe it is something else stupid that I am missing?
If you are only getting a dribble at the injector it's no doubt fuel related, should be plenty of spray or leakage4 there..

Dabnis
Old 09-19-2011

Okay, first, Thank you for your help. Here is how everything ended up.

The fuel tank was not there and it was drawing gas from a portable can (it was like that when i got it) so what I did was take the 6 gallon gas can that i have for my 15 hp gamefisher (which is a real gas can), replaced the gas with diesel, attached the lines, bled the system and guess what??????

yep, she fired. so now i have a 30 year old motor with 80 hrs on it that purrs. so all said and done, what i think is that the water and debris that was at the bottom of the gas can was preventing the clean gas from reaching the engine. I don't have a fuel / water seperator from the tank to the lift pump, that might be part of the problem the previous owner had. /shrug. I'll add it to my list . thanks b.