Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maine Sail

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011

ahalfon is on a distinguished road
Engine Failure After Line Caught in Prop

Title says it all: I finally managed to catch a line in my prop.. Unfortunately this was a pretty hefty dock line, and the engine was in full throttle - it summarily stopped within a second or two after all the warning lights lit up.

It took a while to get the line off (as you can imagine), but now the engine won't start. Oddly enough this looks like a solenoid/starter issue: the engine turns by hand and the batteries are full. The warning alarm sounds upon turning the key, but pressing the start button doesn't do anything (not even clicking sound). This is a Yanmar 2GM20 BTW.

I'm at a complete loss at trying to diagnose this.. my first thought was a transmission failure, but the transmission seems to be OK (also that should have exhibited completely different symptoms..); would appreciate your help!
TIA,

Amir
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Not sure how the line in the prop would effect the solenoid or starter? However, as you can turn it over by hand you could disconnect the wire from the solenoid at the starter, get a heavy jumper cable and jump directly from the battery to the starter post. Sometimes you can do the same thing with a heavy screw driver. Be careful and be ready to immediately disconnect if there is excessive sparking. If this works it would appear the solenoid is bad.

The only other thing I can think of is the possibility of loose motor mounts causing the engine to become out of line? But not sure how this would effect starting, assuming the transmission is in neutral? Perhaps just a coincidence?
Let us know what you find.

Dabnis
Old 09-11-2011

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Putting aside (for the moment) your dock line around prop incident
...your Yanmar 2GM, my 3GM and other small Yanmars are notorious for the problem you are describing...as I understand it
caused by loss of voltage through various connections in the
harness. Resolved by installing a small relay. (I did and never
had problem again). Check Yanmar starting issues thread.
Subject has been discussed in detail.
Good luck, Hugo
Old 09-11-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
On a delivery from Honolulu to the PNW we hit a piece of fishing net that took out our transmission. If there is transmission damage, it may impede the engine's ability to start.

Regardless you might have your transmission checked.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-11-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Did you at any point hit the starter button while the line was still around the prop? If so check any fuses in the circuit.
jackdale likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Did you at any point hit the starter button while the line was still around the prop? If so check any fuses in the circuit.
Right!!, first things first. If you can't find any fuses check with a meter to make sure you are getting 12 volts at the input terminal of the solenoid and at the terminal coming from the start key with the key on. Even though you may see 12 volts at the input terminal of the solenoid, dirty or loose connections anywhere could keep the starter from turning over. If you are getting current to the solenoid it should at least click? No sound may mean there is nothing reaching the solenoid. Still can't see any connection between the prop wrap and no juice to the starter or the starter failing? Maybe if the motor torqued excessively it may have stressed the starter cable connection?
However, I think that is a stretch.

Dabnis
Old 09-11-2011

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Right!!, first things first. If you can't find any fuses check with a meter to make sure you are getting 12 volts at the input terminal of the solenoid and at the terminal coming from the start key with the key on. Even though you may see 12 volts at the input terminal of the solenoid, dirty or loose connections anywhere could keep the starter from turning over. If you are getting current to the solenoid it should at least click? No sound may mean there is nothing reaching the solenoid. Still can't see any connection between the prop wrap and no juice to the starter or the starter failing? Maybe if the motor torqued excessively it may have stressed the starter cable connection?
However, I think that is a stretch.

Dabnis
Me too!

I plow snow for a business, I find that solenoids are always just suddenly dieing. I always check the solenoid/contactor first, often by just bypassing it. I also clean the ground connections. My trucks have at least one on the stater, one on the electric plow motor, one on the sander, one on the dump, and probably others I can't think of right now after a long summer. I keep spares on hand, and expect them to fail. They can be sensitive to physical shock.

Last edited by skygazer; 09-24-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-24-2011

ahalfon is on a distinguished road
Fixed!

Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

It ended up being much simpler than I thought: the cable to the S terminal of the solenoid got disconnected. It was probably loose for a long time and finally gave up as the engine was shaking and heating up. Or maybe it was not related at all... Anyway it was really hard to get that cable screwed in place, but now the starter works like a charm.
Fair winds!

Amir
Old 09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahalfon View Post
Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

It ended up being much simpler than I thought: the cable to the S terminal of the solenoid got disconnected. It was probably loose for a long time and finally gave up as the engine was shaking and heating up. Or maybe it was not related at all... Anyway it was really hard to get that cable screwed in place, but now the starter works like a charm.
Fair winds!

Amir
Apparently just a coincidence at the time of the wrap? Good to see it was an easy fix. I keep telling myself to check the easy to get to, and or cheap, items before ripping things apart. Thanks for the feedback.

Dabnis