Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011

micheck is on a distinguished road
Can you hand-crank a Yanmar 15 hp?

Can I feasibly hand-crank a Yanmar 2 cylinder 2YM15?

Charles
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
um, it was how we got Dad's started in 1981, on a brandy new Volvo Penta (many years ago, dead bettery, new boat). Poor guy who did it though whacked the snot out of his hand (broken thumb I believe).

I wouldn't if you had a choice.
Old 09-13-2011
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
I've started my that way years ago when I first got the boat just to see if it was possible. For background, I've also hand cranked old tractors and a few Cessna aircraft.
Old 09-13-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
I once tried to hand-crank my 2gm20, after I had a few beers. After about 15 minutes, I decided that I either wasn't sober enough, or drunk enough, to get it running. It's sort of a two person job; person one cranks, person two flips the decompression do-dads at the critical moment (and then proceeds to give person one CPR).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 09-13-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
I've never tried it, but I'd be very, very careful if I did. Guy could get his arm broke doing something like that. But, then again, I'm always taking the easy way out.
Old 09-13-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
I see on my Yanmar 3gm (in manual) it says you can hand crank to start. I actually tried to find a yanmar hand crank. Only one I could find was a used one in Europe- too expensive considering the shipping. My engine access is very tight (reverse mount v-drive) so it would be very hard to do. I now carry a spare starter- if that won't start her I will be looking for a tow! I was also concerned about getting hurt- like others have posted.
Old 09-13-2011

apogee1mars is on a distinguished road
It is not a problem

The Yanmar readily will submit to hand cranking. If you have some forethought you can really simplify the procedure A large ratchet and an extension with a socket over the crank pulley nut is always a winner. Or a modified pulley bolted on to the harmonic dampener to wind a pull rope work too. Both keep your hands out of the mix.
Old 09-13-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Unlikley that you can hand crank any diesel that has a hand crank with it. Usually there is so little room that you can't get any leverage or speed, and then you need to insert another person to reach and work the decompression lever, and usually someone gets hurt with the crank, or exhausted, before anything fires up.

It is a wonderful theory but in practice? Carry a spare 17AH battery and a day tank of clean fuel. And leave the crank at home.

Oddly enough, a 17AH battery, the kind found in many of those "jump packs" or portable power kits, can start a healthy 10-20hp diesel without complaint. then you stash it away for a spare radio battery, or dead cars, or whatever.

Last edited by hellosailor; 09-13-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Unlikley that you can hand crank any diesel that has a hand crank with it. Usually there is so little room that you can't get any leverage or speed, and then you need to insert another person to reach and work the decompression lever, and usually someone gets hurt with the crank, or exhausted, before anything fires up.

It is a wonderful theory but in practice? Carry a spare 17AH battery and a day tank of clean fuel. And leave the crank at home.

Oddly enough, a 17AH battery, the kind found in many of those "jump packs" or portable power kits, can start a healthy 10-20hp diesel without complaint. then you stash it away for a spare radio battery, or dead cars, or whatever.
I agree. A SCUBA tank and an air gun hooked up to a ratcheted socket over the crank pulley will work if the engine will run at all. A compression release for larger engines could become a factor depending on the handles of the air gun. I do not see a problem with a two cylinder Yanmar without a compression release. As far as the room to perform the task this is where the fore thought comes into play. A precisely drill hole aligned with the crank pulley drilled through the engine cover will act as a brace for the extension and is easily covered when not in use. Just a suggestion that will not work in all applications. Always good to have plan "B". Another thing that is always good is to have an alternate intake hose set up for the engine cooling system. In times of need the aux can be used as a bilge pump. There are a few things that a person can do with what is already available. Exp: Have a belt pulley already slid on the output shaft and a place to mount your genset next to it. You can disconnect the output shaft coupler from the engine and throw a fan belt around the pulley on the prop shaft to a pulley on the gen set and make way under the power of the genset if push comes to shove. It seems like busy work until it is needed and then all of the greybeard tricks start to make sense....m
Old 09-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris12345 View Post
I have often read that advice, but doubt that it really is a good idea: A small diesel cooling water pump pumps next to nothing, but this setup is a surefire way of clogging the pump with debris and loosing the engine when you are already dealing with water in the boat.
You sound like you know what your talking about. "Surefire way" is it? Hmmm. I guess all those commercial guys out on the water for months at at a time should have read the book. So just how many GPM does a small diesel pump?
How many GPM is worthless discharge in the advent of a breach. Have you ever pulled a hatch and observed the crystal clear seawater filling the hull, watching your batteries go under as your auxiliary power is partially submerged? I am guessing not. I hope it never happens to anybody, but unfortunately it does happen.