Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011

Stevewlf is on a distinguished road
Question Ford Lehman 120 cylinder liners

I'm looking at a boat with a 1979 Lehman 120 that will need a rebuild. I know this engine can be fitted with liners, I'm not formilar with the prodecure.

I've done major overhauls on engines before but not sure what is involved if I need to put liners in this engine. Do I have to have take the block to a shop to have the block bored and liners fitted??

In fact the manual specafications list this engine with or without liners. I don't have the name plate data yet so I'm not even sure which it might be. Is it possible that some engine models came with liners already installed and they can just be replace rather than boring the block over size?

This "liner" thing is new to me. I once built a tractor and it just required the replacement of the sleeves,(didn't require any machining), but I think that is different.

Any clearification or info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
if it is that worn, you would likely need to remove the block for machine work, whether liners are involved or not....

For the most accurate information, you would need to contact Bob, or his son at American Diesel in Kilmarnock, VA ....he is the guru of the lehman engine.

American Diesel Corp
PO Box 1838 (Rt. #3 North)
Kilmarnock, Va. 22482
Phone: 804.435.3107 Fax: 804.435.6420
Old 09-19-2011

Stevewlf is on a distinguished road
Ford Lehman 120 liner question?

Maybe I need to understand the Engine Codes as stated in the Operators Manual on Grand Banks Woodies Owner's Resources.

Engine Code F is "With cylinder liners", while Engine Code H is "less cylinder liners". As I read this and think about it. It sounds line two different block configuration originally. The first being built with replaceable liners fitted into the block and the second "H" sounds like just a cast block that would have to be bored and fitted with oversized pistons. Or perhaps the "H" engine has yet to be bored oversize and fitted with sleeves.

I'm not a trained and experience diesel engine mechanic, but I have worked in the Navy as a repair officer and in industry and now in marine and come across instances as discribed above. There is a difference between Liners and Sleeves. To my recolection with the, you maintain the same piston size since the old liner is removed and a new one is fitted. While the sleeve is used to restore the cylinder wall thickness but may change the bore diameter after boring or honing. Liners being fitted in to the block with some metod of sealing. While the the sleeve might be pressed or expanded into the block.

As I search the engine parts sources I am seeing Liners and Sleeves available, both with or without suitable pistons. So far, I haven't come across anything for the Ford Lehman engine.

Still wondering what kind of engine overhaul might required. Due to the fact that this engine room is under the center cockpit in a Transpac 49 sail boat, there would be much invovled in removing the whole engine or even the "short block". I'm hoping it is a Liner type engine and the complete overhaul in place, much like we did in navy ships. This boat has a large engine room with enough room to raise the engine enough for access the lower end and crank bearings.

I don't believe that re-engining always the solution in many cases since the refitting and alignment complications often cost as much as the new engine or at least as much as the full rebuild of the old engine. Having worked around boats and in boat yard for 50 years, I think the "New" engine solution is over sold and often because the, either the owner wants more power or the boat engine shop want to sell a new engine along with the instalation work.

In this boat, which is 33 yo., has done well with this engine, known for reliability and ease of repair through out the world. Why not give it new life with a full rebuild (in place I'm hoping). Without tearing out the cockpit deck or cabin interior, not to mention the expenses I mentioned previously.

My Opinion FWIW.

Steve