Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchad View Post
I got out to the boat this afternoon, changed the racor primary filter with new O rings, changed the fuel filter, added fresh diesel to the primary filter, bled the system again all the way to the fuel lines where they enter the cylinders. Still no start...the engine cranks, tries to fire but won't sustain itself. The air intake emits a puff of smoke when I top cranking.....still puzzled....and getting a bit frustrated.
"puff of smoke"? If the injector pump has been removed of moved the timing may be off enough to keep it from running. Maybe a squirt of WD 40 spray when cranking and just a little bit more after it catches to see if it keeps running? You might want to check with Yanmar or one of their dealers about trying this before hand. I have kind of lost track but have you tried another injector? A shop should be able to check the existing injector. In your original post you said this started in August? Any work of any kind done before then? It sounds like the problem came on suddenly rather than gradually?

Dabnis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2011
pete

beachmont is on a distinguished road
Have you checked the shut down cable did you try a starting aid
Old 11-11-2011

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Bad injectors, that's what happens to them when water in the fuel gets to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Time to trouble shoot. Replace injectors, or at least have them tested. If OK, have injection pump tested. If not the pump, then test the compression, or maybe you would want to do compression first since you have to pull the injectors to do that.
Old 11-13-2011

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
rchad,

How cold is it where you are? The 2GM has no glow plugs so if it is 50 degrees or colder the engine will have problems starting. To start a diesel engine in the cold give it full throttle and as soon as it starts to fire a bit throttle down to idle.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"

Last edited by denby; 11-13-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2012

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road
Re: no start Yanmar

I would be interested to know if the OP ever solved the mystery of why his engine would not start. I have had a similar experience, though I don't think it is fuel-related, because the primary filter is always clean when I pull it and change it - twice a year.
Sailing down from Brisbane (sub-tropical) to Hobart (cool temperate) my Yanmar 2 GM-20 started every time with no trouble.
Then one fine day it just didn't want to go. It would fire, but die. After a lot of cranking with ever more throttle applied, it eventually stumbled to life.
Now it is really stubborn, so I have had to resort to 'Aerostart' (ether?) to help it along.
Once up and running, it produces plenty of power, and no more black smoke than one would expect at wide open throttle. At 2200 to 2300 rpm it runs smooth with no smoke and pushes my 30 ft boat at near hull speed. After that first reluctant start of the day, it always starts easily enough without resorting to the Aerostart, unless it gets really cold again.
A local Yanmar mechanic reckons that these salt-water cooled engines commonly get corrosion in the exhaust valves, which means removing the head and getting the valves reground etc. But the compressions feel OK - at least I can hardly turn it on the hand crank unless I de-compress the valves. This engine is about 5 years old (although the 2GM series was superseded well before 5 years ago, it was in the crate until then) and it's only done about 400 hours, with plenty of loving maintenance - oil changes etc - and used throughout the year (even in Tasmania it ain't that bad you can't sail most months of the year). I have always been careful to shut off the raw water when not using the engine for more than a few days and also regularly check that no surplus water is anywhere in the exhaust system.
Any ideas, or actual experience much appreciated. Plus two questions in particular:
1. In colder climates do they really need full throttle to initiate the start?
2. Just how much damage does a squirt of Aerostart do - surely if it's that bad they wouldn't market it?
Old 04-16-2012

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough

Arvicola,

How cold is it when you have trouble starting the engine? The 2GMs do not have glow plugs. My 2GM20F has trouble below 50*f, which is about 10*c. To start the engine the throttle should be full open, (keep a hand on the throttle) as soon as the engine fires close down the throttle. You want the RPMs to be around 1000 to 1200. There will be a lot of black smoke and the engine will sputter and make some noise at first but it will clear quickly.

I would not use ether to start a diesel, If anything I would use WD40. Good luck and let me know how it works out for you.

Or the problem comes from being upside-down.

's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 04-16-2012

I will let the comment about being upside down through to the keeper - this time....

OK, I will be good boy and try WD-40 rather than ether- and as hard as it will be to do - try full throttle. I suppose as long as I stick with my habit of cranking it a few turns with the valves de-compressed, there will be some oil circulated before it lights up. It's a bit of a reach from the starter panel (inside cabin) out to the throttle lever in the cockpit, so the chances of pulling it back to idle as it fires will be dependent on my agility.

Also, it is rarely as cold as 10 deg C in Tasmania - except maybe in the mountains. The sea water temperature has not so far been below 15 deg C (*68 F from memory), which I wouldn't describe as cold. In the summer further north in the sub-tropics I was running the engine on SAE 40 oil but went down to SAE 30 at the last oil change in the hope that it would make it easier to start. Not much difference.

Anyone else with experience of needing to pull the head and do a valve job on a 2GM salt water engine at only 400 hours? Obviously I am very reluctant to do this until I have exhausted all other possibilities.
Old 04-16-2012

At 15* c I don't see a temperature problem. And with only 400 hours I really don't see a valve problem.

Will the engine idle at 800 to 1000 RPM after it warms up?

's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 04-17-2012

Yep, idles a treat at 850 rpm and as mentioned appears to be making full power, accelerates normally. Fuel is clean, oil not contaminated with water, starter spins it over OK, starts normally once warm etc etc. Bl00dy thing just won't start from cold! A few years ago I had another boat with the same engine (though it was only rated at 13 h.p. so may have been an earlier version). I could hand start that baby every time on the first swing of the crank (and I am an 80 lb weakling), so I really don't understand what is going on with this one.