Engine Winterization Question - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-02-2011 Thread Starter

Engine Winterization Question

Is it important to have the engine cooling water passages filled with antifreeze over the winter? Or is it OK to have the cooling system partially drained?
I have a 1981, 13 hp Volvo diesel. It is raw water cooled. Iím concerned that a partially drained system will promote internal corrosion. And I ask because if I use the raw water pump to winterize the engine and then remove the raw water pump impeller, much of the antifreeze drains out. I could first remove the thermostat and the impeller and use a pump to pump the antifreeze through the engine but that is more work and could possibly end up forcing water back into the exhaust.
Thanks, harbin2
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-03-2011
DrB

Ok to drain

Here is what I do:
  1. Drain the water from the muffler
  2. Run motor and put the anti-freeze through raw water pump until you see good flow of it in the exhaust stream
  3. Shut off engine and drain muffler
  4. Crack open impeller pump and drain the anti-freeze

DrB

If you liked my advice/response, give me some rep points. If you didn't......well what do you expect, it was free.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-03-2011

You can partially drain the antifreeze if you like, but I would use -100 deg, which can be partially dilluted and still protect. Some nooks and crannies might not fully displace the water. However, I would just leave it fully charged with anti-freeze.

I leave my impeller in all winter. It's good motivation to change it each spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 12-03-2011 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Misunderstood question.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-03-2011
Sailor

I agree with Minnewaska. That way you have antifreeze through the engine and muffler all winter. There are anti corrosion elements in the antifreeze which protect internal parts which would otherwise start corroding when exposed to air. Keep the impeller in and change impellers in the spring if desired.

Tod

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-03-2011

You are wasting your time. Drain it completely.

Why, why, why?

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
post #6 of 19 Old 12-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnblu View Post
You are wasting your time. Drain it completely.
I fully drain fresh water lines by blowing them out. Some minute water does remain, but if more than I thought, it will cost me $20 in hose. Make that mistake with your engine and you could be buying a new one after cracking the block. For me, antifreeze let's me sleep.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-04-2011

Anti freeze does have anti corrosion additives and will help the engine over an extended time.
A few years back, a couple buddies of mine decided not to winterize their engines and instead, put a small heater in the boat to keep the engines from freezing.
When spring came and they fired up their engines for the first time, the exhaust water was so thick with rust and corrosion, it looked like mud coming out of the exhaust port.
After seeing that, I promised myself that I would ALWAYS use antifreeze when winterizing and never just drain the water or use an engine room heater.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-04-2011

Use the drain plugs and drain the barrel and exhaust manifold completely. I would not trust the anti-freeze trick, as I can never be sure it's getting into the jacket(s). It will go through the exhaust OK, but it will only get into the jacket(s) if the thermostat is open, and it probably won't be.
Take the gearbox coolant line off and blow the remaining water out of the gearbox and the water pump.

I very nearly lost my MD17C about 5 years ago when it froze solid. All the core plugs blew out and saved nearly all. I have a wee crack in the aft barrel, and it weeps very slowly, perhaps one drip every 30 seconds when warm. I live with it.

Be careful.

Rockter.

post #9 of 19 Old 12-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockter View Post
Use the drain plugs and drain the barrel and exhaust manifold completely. I would not trust the anti-freeze trick, as I can never be sure it's getting into the jacket(s). It will go through the exhaust OK, but it will only get into the jacket(s) if the thermostat is open, and it probably won't be.
Take the gearbox coolant line off and blow the remaining water out of the gearbox and the water pump.

So take out the T-stat first and then you don't have to worry if it is opened or closed.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-05-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbin2 View Post
Is it important to have the engine cooling water passages filled with antifreeze over the winter?
Follow the instructions in your manual. My Vetus manual states as follows:

"To avoid corrosion the internal cooling system must be completely filled during lay up...[pour a litre anti-freeze in the filter and]let the engine run untill [sic] the anti-freeze has disappeared into the cooling system..."

Thus, Vetus recommends changing the coolant in the engine and filling the raw water portion of the heat exchanger with coolant, rather than leaving it empty after a flush.

Tags
cooling , raw water

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.