Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
For 'filter look-up and 'cross reference', go to WIX filters, WIX oil filters, WIX air filters, WIX fuel filters, WIX Heavy Duty Oil Filters : Filter Look-Up ----> offhigway ----> 'marine' ----> engine model number .... click on the 'underlined' part number to get the 'filter technical specifications' - µM 'rating', Beta-Ratio (efficiency), bypass 'set pressure', envelope size, connection thread size.

Then go to your favorite 'auto parts store' and have them cross reference the above number .... usually they will have to 'special order' for such small diesel engine filters .... but the cost will be a fraction of what you will pay for "severely $ marked up" private-labeled filters.
If the engine is still under warranty, dont believe the 'crap' about being required to use a 'branded' filter .... as that is illegal and is entirely contrary to the "Fair Trade Laws".

(I have no connection to 'Wix Filters', etc.)

Last edited by RichH; 12-13-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Mark-
Bosch makes quite a line of filters, I don't know how their marine filters fit into the bigger picture. I'm thinking of Bosch and Mobil1 automotive filters, which used to run about $6 each instead of a more common $3-4, and one of them literally doubled their price last year, same product apparently but the box went from cardboard to see-through plastic. (Oooh, pretty pretty, shiny shiny). Both brands had detailed specs on micron ratings (absolute and typical) and in auto filters--both were way ahead of the pack. Which might just be like the argument who needs a two micron diesel fuel filter. (G)

Not that it matters much. Unless you mail-order filters by the box, it seems that whatever brand you want, isn't in stock. If it is, clean 'em out while they are.

Everybody puts down Fram as cheap...but the last old-fashioned machinist I knew used to swear by them, sold 'em and used 'em for 30+ years and his rebuilds didn't fail from them. Who knows?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2011

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Thanks RichH. I will do exactly that when I order filters next time. The same applies to V belts... I paid more than 50 dollars for a Yanmar raw water V-belt (tiny little belt actually). I needed one ASAP and the local Yanmar dealer had it in stock. Suffice it to say I just stocked up on the exact same belt for less than 6 dollars by buying through my local washing machine parts shop. Go figure! I now have 5 belts in my spares kit.
Old 12-13-2011

copacabana is on a distinguished road
I'll look for Bosch. Thanks Hellosailor!