Yanmar oil filter question - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 12-13-2011

For 'filter look-up and 'cross reference', go to WIX filters, WIX oil filters, WIX air filters, WIX fuel filters, WIX Heavy Duty Oil Filters : Filter Look-Up ----> offhigway ----> 'marine' ----> engine model number .... click on the 'underlined' part number to get the 'filter technical specifications' - µM 'rating', Beta-Ratio (efficiency), bypass 'set pressure', envelope size, connection thread size.

Then go to your favorite 'auto parts store' and have them cross reference the above number .... usually they will have to 'special order' for such small diesel engine filters .... but the cost will be a fraction of what you will pay for "severely $ marked up" private-labeled filters.
If the engine is still under warranty, dont believe the 'crap' about being required to use a 'branded' filter .... as that is illegal and is entirely contrary to the "Fair Trade Laws".

(I have no connection to 'Wix Filters', etc.)

Last edited by RichH; 12-13-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 12-13-2011
Reward for lost Kraken!

Mark-
Bosch makes quite a line of filters, I don't know how their marine filters fit into the bigger picture. I'm thinking of Bosch and Mobil1 automotive filters, which used to run about $6 each instead of a more common $3-4, and one of them literally doubled their price last year, same product apparently but the box went from cardboard to see-through plastic. (Oooh, pretty pretty, shiny shiny). Both brands had detailed specs on micron ratings (absolute and typical) and in auto filters--both were way ahead of the pack. Which might just be like the argument who needs a two micron diesel fuel filter. (G)

Not that it matters much. Unless you mail-order filters by the box, it seems that whatever brand you want, isn't in stock. If it is, clean 'em out while they are.

Everybody puts down Fram as cheap...but the last old-fashioned machinist I knew used to swear by them, sold 'em and used 'em for 30+ years and his rebuilds didn't fail from them. Who knows?
post #13 of 14 Old 12-13-2011 Thread Starter

Thanks RichH. I will do exactly that when I order filters next time. The same applies to V belts... I paid more than 50 dollars for a Yanmar raw water V-belt (tiny little belt actually). I needed one ASAP and the local Yanmar dealer had it in stock. Suffice it to say I just stocked up on the exact same belt for less than 6 dollars by buying through my local washing machine parts shop. Go figure! I now have 5 belts in my spares kit.

Vindö 50
post #14 of 14 Old 12-13-2011 Thread Starter

I'll look for Bosch. Thanks Hellosailor!

Vindö 50

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.