Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SloopJonB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011

moosemoose is on a distinguished road
Swap Yanmar for Universal?

I currently have a non-functioning Yanmar 2QM20 (18hp) in my Endeavour 32, and I'm looking to re-power. The best engine in my vicinity so far is a Universal M30, 24hp. Does anybody know these engines well enough to say whether this would be too big of a pain, or if there are any odd issues such as engine mounts or gearing rations that would complicate this?
I was planning on leaving the existing transmission and swapping the engine, so I can do the changeout easily in the water, but I know nothing of gearing ratios and what would constitute a problem. Can anyone lend some knowledge? I have never done an engine swap before, though I am experienced in lighter mechanic work and have the capability to weld new engine mounts on the boat if necessary.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to moosemoose For This Useful Post:
henrysailor (11-18-2013)
Old 12-28-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
My first questions would be why is the Yanmar inoperative? Fatal problem? May well be easier to fix what's there in the long run..

If you are planning/able to reuse the existing gearbox than there are no concerns about prop pitch and gear rations as none of that should change unless the engines operate in much different rpm ranges... although the increase in power might suggest a slightly different or re-pitched prop

Nowadays engineering drawings are readily available.. google these motors, find some literature and compare the overall dimensions, footprint and mount locations to get an idea of whether or not you're going to need to seriously change the beds and mounts.

It's always a challenge to repower with a totally different motor unless it's a designed drop-in replacement. Finding the adaptor to connect to your existing gear may be as big a challenge as any of it.. you'll need to know the specifics of the gearbox too.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-29-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
You would be going from a 2 cylinder to a 3 cylinder, so space may be an issue. If you go ahead, I would swap the transmissions also. It will be much easier to mate the existing shaft to the new transmission than get the new engine to mate with the old transmission. Check the reduction ratios and direction of rotation to make sure your current propeller is still OK.
Old 12-29-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
I have not done an engine swap in a boat but did put a Ford V8 into a Willys pickup truck. Virtually NOTHING fits. Doing it in a boat with limited space sounds like a major project. As mentioned earlier, repairing or re-building the existing engine or replacing it with the same model and re-using the existing transmission sounds a whole lot easier and maybe not as costly?

Dabnis
Old 12-29-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
My friend's Endeavor 32' has a Universal M35 (3 cyl.) engine installed in it. It has a Hurth transmission and is fresh water cooled.
That said, I have no idea what adaptations you would need to do to align a different engine using the existing motor mounts and tranny.
Doing a proper alignment job will dictate how much shimming of the engine is needed, if any.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-30-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
I have done one engine install in a boat and a couple in cars. The boat was replacing a Yannie YSE8 with a YSM8 - basically the same engine, just "Mark III" kind of thing. I did it alone and it took 5 weeks of evenings & weekends. It is amazing how much time you spend running out for fuel lines, new lag screws for the mounts etc. etc. etc. Lining up the shaft is very time consuming as well.

I wouldn't want to do a full on swap in a sailboat unless the engine access was VERY good. Trying to swap an engine in one of the boats where the original was installed before the deck went on would be an exercise in self inflicted insanity.

I did a swap in a car once - it was GM to GM so I could use all factory parts (Chevy into BOP for the car aficionados here). Even THAT fairly minor level of "custom" was maddening. starter on the other side of the engine meant custom battery cables. Fuel lines down the opposite side of the car meant custom lines were needed, flywheels had different bolt patterns than the converters etc. etc.

That was with a full hoist equipped shop too - doing it inside a sailboat would be more than I'd want to take on and I'll take on WAY more than I should.

Rebuild the 2QM or find another good one and save yourself a HUGE amount of grief and expense.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-31-2011

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Yep I agree probably way to much work. Unless you are badly under powered I would fix of replace in kind. If you have really good access and you are willing to put in a new motor base you certainly can do it.
I replaced my motor base a couple of years ago, I have a 2GM. Not really a bad job, cut out the old unit, grind down the tabbing and then re-install a new base made out of plywood. Glass it to the hull and do an alignment.
It can be done but in my case I had the pattern, you would have to design the base your self so that you had the right height and angle to your shaft. Then fuel lines, throttle controls etc are likely to be different.
Old 12-31-2011

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
I pulled my YSM 12 from my Mariner 28 using an old main sheet tackle and a 4x4. Once the engine was in the cockpit, we hooked it to the boom and lowered it over the sides. I should have padded the boat with old blankets, and drained ALL the oil and trans fluid. Only down side was a couple of small gel coat chips and an oil stained main sheet. Usually the engine must be mounted on an angle to match the prop shaft. Make sure you have enough room above the angled engine. The additional HP may require a new prop and/or prop shaft. Also check that exhaust and cooling water through hulls are on the same side, to avoid a lot of additional work. Check weight, and make sure any additional weight will work in your favor. MY ysm was 320 lbs. I looked at a couple of 3 cyl that were 500+. If the attractive part of the new motor is price, figure very carefully. Adjusting the sub systems can be expensive. Pulling the 2gm, having it rebuilt and reinstalling is likely cheaper and easier that an engine swap. In my youth we used to say that with enough money and a big enough hammer you can put in any engine you want. Double that for a boat!
Lou
Old 12-31-2011

lajimo is on a distinguished road
Add Content
Old 01-01-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Yes, I would be inclined to re-condition the existing motor or put another Yanmar in there.
A new, different, motor is a lot of work.

For me, my old Volvo MD17C will be replaced with a different motor the next time anything serious happens to it..... perhaps the Beta Marine 40 hp. That is for reasons of astronomical spare parts prices for the Volvo.

Don't re-power with a Volvo. The spare parts prices will choke you. Not at the time. Later. And, believe me, you will choke..
Rockter.

Tags
re-power , repower , swap , universal , yanmar