Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012

Pagu is on a distinguished road
filtering very dirty diesel

I live in the Solomon Islands and recently bought for a song, a small diesel powered launch.

Rebirth of the M.V Pagu

I live in a remote place so the diesel fuel I'm able to source comes from all sorts of dubious places and guaranteed to contain just about anything from sediment to water.

In the boat, I plan to put in line from tank to engine first a simple bowl water separation filter, then a primary CAV filter, than the secondary on the engine.

When I buy diesel (to purchase I put word out and it arrives to me in a variety of any kind of container that will hold it in various volumes, origin unknown but probably 'highjacked' from the loathed Malaysian logging camps) I let it sit for a while the syphon of the top 90% leaving the last litre or two.

I've been wondering how to do some filtering at the pumping end before I put into the tank?

And wondering if any point in putting more than one primary filter before the engine?

Any advice out there on working with dirty diesel would be very appreciated.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
You might want to look at the commonly used "Baja" filter,- a stacked set of gradient sized filtering funnels used at filling from a suspicious source. Practical Sailor did a review of these types of filters in some past issue and they rated West Marine's version quit well. I've never used one so I'm only speaking of second hand hearsay. Check them out,- take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 02-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Isn't someone going to suggest he bolt on a mast and hoist a sail instead? There are club rules here after all......

I would also recommend that the filtering be done before it goes in your tank. Then your onboard filter should be able to get suspended (emulsified) water out, if it separates further.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-16-2012

Thanks for much for the tip. I’ll check out the ‘baja’ type filter. I’m using something similar Available in Australia called a ‘Mr Funnel’. Has fine mesh and a little sump to catch water.

As the comment re raise a mast. Yes an obvious idea and I do plan to fashion something for the few months of the year when the SE Trade winds reach my location. If Minniewaska knows their geography they’ll be aware that much of the Solomon Islands lies in the doldrums. More than 9 days out of 10 are glassy calm. Not a breath of wind and that’s no exaggeration! I had a 38’ sail boat there for the last 4 years (I bought her back to Australia in November and just sold her last week). I did thousands of miles with that boat in the Solomons, but sadly only a handful under sail. The majority was pushing a 9 metric tonne performance sailboat on a woefully undersized axillary engine. I now have a similar sized engine in a hull weighing only hundreds of kilos rather than thousands. Less poetic, but infinitely more practical for the location.
Old 02-16-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I have a West Marine filter (a cheaper version of the Baja which is stainless rather than plastic). Don't know if the one you have is the same, but it is very good at flitering out water and larger pieces of crap. Main advantage is that it saves having to replace the Racor elements all the time and can handle large amounts of water. You need to put the fuel through the filter quite slowly if the fuel is really contaminated - which sounds like it for you.
Old 02-16-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Have removed the bottom of a 2 litre Pespi bottle and together with
some coffee filters became our fuel filter and tank, got us home just
fine. ...however I think below might be more useful to you!

In addition to good filters referenced in above posts...

Have found this site helpful...talks about water eliminators,
the worth of fuel stabilizer in regard protecting motor, and a little
insight to the degrading of diesel fuel when unused diesel is recycled to tank. www.mydieseldoctor.com/FAQ
Old 02-16-2012

www.mydieseldoctor.com/faq
Go to technology section then FAQ
Old 02-16-2012

Thanks very much HUGOSALT! Some good informative reading there.
Old 02-16-2012

Let me be the first to give you a proper "welcome" to sailnet.
Good luck with Pagu ... gave your blog a look...great pics
especially like the "down south" overwinter shots in the Antartic favorites being the winter shots of the huddle and the Aurora over the huddle.
Old 02-16-2012

Thanks very much for the welcome & point taken from Minnewaska re 'hoisting a sail instead....club rules here after all'. The boats I've owned in the past I've bought barely even considering the engine with all attention on the sails and rig (technology I can work with). Life in the doldrums though is a different matter. The winter in Antarctica blog you made reference to: Very special experience that one. Like being at sea in many ways living out on the sea ice for months. Magic.

Back to things oil & diesel though. This I found a good practical read too.

How to clean diesel fuel tanks in boats