Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012

WDaniels is on a distinguished road
Westerbeke W60 fresh water pumps

To all that have the Westerbeke W60 engine in their boat. The fresh water pump on this engine is in danger of going the way of the dino's. Westerbeke charges 800$ ea for their remaining stock, I'm not sure what the older(pre 200 series) Perkins 4-154 pumps cost. But my brand new one from British Thornycroft started weeping out the weep hole after 35 hours of run time. It has the 4 bolt pattern for the pulley. Now Thornycroft no longer has those. They have another pump that is exactly the same but has a 6 bolt pulley pattern. Downside here is what they have left in stock is it. There will be no more of these pumps left at all! TAD diesel say that they can rebuild them but that is the seals only not the pump impeller. So the moral of this story is if you have any doubts, now is the time to get them. Once they are gone, that is it. Shame to have to change an engine just because someone cannot get a circulating pump for their engine. If anyone has any questions PM me and I can give them my contact in the U.K. for parts. The pumps are 116 pounds which includes shipping. And if someone gets the 6 bolt pulley style pump, I can give them the address to a machinist to get a new 6 bolt pulley made. He charges less than half of what other machinists charge. He is making my new one for me.
Just thought someone might need the info.
Warren
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info - just the kind of detail that will save people a lot of hassle and money. I have a W58 but have just changed the pump and have an extra on in reserve (probably the same one you have).

Westerbeke parts are criminally priced. I had to buy a two-groove pulley for the alternator belts and it was more than $500. The single-pulley one was $80.
Old 02-22-2012

WDaniels is on a distinguished road
killarney_sailor,
Yes, you have the W58 which is a mazda block. The old 70's and 80's blocks of the Perkins and Westerbeke 107 and 154 engines were made in the U.K. at Thornycroft. I'm not sure if the 236 was but I believe it was also. Then each manifacturer installed their own marinized parts. Your engine is newer and most likely more of them out there as they are from the Mazda line. Surprised that the British made those things for 40 years. Those old engines went into their black taxi's, lories, farm tractors and every other thing you can stuff a 4 cylinder diesel into.
WD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook