SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Hurth transmission fluid (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/84242-hurth-transmission-fluid.html)

nsweeting 02-23-2012 02:06 PM

Hurth transmission fluid

Hi there,

Hope someone might have some insight here.

I recently changed a whole bunch of propulsion related items. New prop, cutlass bearing, shaft, coupling and motor mounts. All of this is attached to a single cylinder Deutz 17.5 hp air cooled engine with a Hurth HBW-50 2R transmission.

While we were on the hard I took the opportunity to change the transmission fluid. The stuff that came out was very dark and not super viscous like normal ATF fluid. It had no red tinge either. I put Dexron III in the transmission as all the info I found relating to Hurth transmissions said this is correct. I dont have a manual specification for this transmission, so I had to work with what the web recommended.

A couple things of note:

We never had a single issue with the transmission before all the propulsion changes and fluid change.

We up sized the propeller from 12x11 to 13x12 as per multiple propeller company recommendations. Everything seems to work well, and the engine does not appear to be overworked.

After getting everything finished up, we left the yard. After motoring around and testing things out for a while the transmission began having difficulty shifting. It seems to be at higher rpms where it is difficult to shift. Lower rpms seem to be easier. Rather than being the easy shift that it used to, it requires a lot more force to shift it from forward to neutral. More force than what seems comfortable.

Still learning the ins and outs of all these systems. So first question:

Could the slightly upsized propeller cause any issues like this? From my understanding this wouldn't be the case, but thought it was worth asking.

So I'm led to believe it is the transmission fluid. The Deutz runs slightly hot being air cooled, so I'm wondering if the transmission requires another kind of oil as a result. I've read a couple things about using SAE 30 or 15w-40 oils in transmissions and I'm wondering if this could be the case here as well. Could a hot engine mean not using normal ATF?

Anyways - hope this is enough info to come up with some kind of diagnostic. Waiting to get out of here!

Thanks for any help or opinions.

Cheers
Nick

Faster 02-23-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsweeting (Post 835787)
H..... the transmission began having difficulty shifting. It seems to be at higher rpms where it is difficult to shift. Lower rpms seem to be easier.....

First question that occurs is: why are you switching gears anywhere other than at idle??

nsweeting 02-23-2012 05:10 PM

I was just saying that switching gears at a low rpm makes a difference in ease. Switching gears at and around idle speed is now more difficult than it used to be though.

I can switch it below idle throttle with greater ease than idle throttle. Idle is not the lowest rpm I can get on the engine.

Faster 02-23-2012 05:31 PM

I'd be looking for something more external...

Did all the work you did by any chance disturb the cables from the shift/throttle mechanism? Often if the cable clamp at either end comes adrift you end up with an off-axis psuh/pull that can bind and lead to stiffer action. Check that the sleeve clamp at the gearbox end esp is still firmly fixed and in line with the lever. If it's easy to get to check the other end as well.

Another thing you might try is to disconnect the cables and see if they move smoothly off the gear, and see if shifting by hand seems OK or not.

Another thought... all the motor mounts OK? Higher torque may be forcing the motor/gear out of alignment..with the cables (real long shot..)

Being familiar with the Hurth gear it's difficult to imagine an oil change affecting shifting effort. In any event despite Hurth's claim of being able to withstand shifting at high revs I'd not get into that habit..

You did just put a 1/2 liter of oil in, right?.. the 'full' mark is just 1/4 inch or so up the dipstick and should be checked without the threads engaged (sorry, gotta ask...)

nsweeting 02-23-2012 05:54 PM

It may have disturbed the cables - but if shifting while the engine is off is easy, would I be able to presume the cables are fine?

Faster 02-23-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsweeting (Post 835917)
It may have disturbed the cables - but if shifting while the engine is off is easy, would I be able to presume the cables are fine?

Yes... that would seem so....