Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: How to destroy a diesel in one easy step...

A couple times I forgot to open the raw water engine cooling seacock after starting the engine. While warming up the engine the overheat alarm went off, opened the seacock and engine cooled down fine. It is raw water cooled so high temp alarm is at about 170 degree- should not have damaged engine.

I did not inspect the raw water pump and since then have run many hours on the engine without pump problems. Could the impeller still be damaged? I plant to change it say every 3 years.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
A couple times I forgot to open the raw water engine cooling seacock after starting the engine. While warming up the engine the overheat alarm went off, opened the seacock and engine cooled down fine. It is raw water cooled so high temp alarm is at about 170 degree- should not have damaged engine.

I did not inspect the raw water pump and since then have run many hours on the engine without pump problems. Could the impeller still be damaged? I plant to change it say every 3 years.

There's a good chance your impeller is somewhat damaged.. they don't like to run dry. They will often continue to move adequate amounts of water despite a broken vane if there's no resulting pluggage... Also suddenly flashing cold water into an overheated block is another way to cause cracking.. probably better off the shut down, allow to cool then open the valve and restart.

Frequency of impeller changes probably should be based on hours more than simple elapsed time, but I know many who do it seasonally just because.

If part of an impeller vane is broken off it will find its way into the heat exchanger (if FWC) or 'who knows where' in the water jackets of a RWC engine. In a H/E it's usually easy to find/flush out. If it gets jammed up inside the engine itself it's very hard to know where it ended up and a passage could be 'starved' at some point. Not a nice prospect.

btw.. some people hang their engine key on the RW through hull valve handle.. tends to discourage 'forgetting'...
jrd22 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 03-05-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
There's a good chance your impeller is somewhat damaged.. they don't like to run dry. They will often continue to move adequate amounts of water despite a broken vane if there's no resulting pluggage... Also suddenly flashing cold water into an overheated block is another way to cause cracking.. probably better off the shut down, allow to cool then open the valve and restart.

Frequency of impeller changes probably should be based on hours more than simple elapsed time, but I know many who do it seasonally just because.

If part of an impeller vane is broken off it will find its way into the heat exchanger (if FWC) or 'who knows where' in the water jackets of a RWC engine. In a H/E it's usually easy to find/flush out. If it gets jammed up inside the engine itself it's very hard to know where it ended up and a passage could be 'starved' at some point. Not a nice prospect.

btw.. some people hang their engine key on the RW through hull valve handle.. tends to discourage 'forgetting'...
By leaving the raw water seacock closed will the impeller actually run dry? The way my engine is set up the engine is below the water line. So when the seacock is closed, the water pump is flooded. Now when the pump starts, it cannot get a suction of water, but is the pump still flooded with water? I am not sure how it would go dry as that would mean their would need to be a total vacuum at the pump.

I will plan to replace the impeller just a precaution in any event. That would be bad if pieces start breaking off.
Regards
Old 03-05-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
By leaving the raw water seacock closed will the impeller actually run dry? The way my engine is set up the engine is below the water line. So when the seacock is closed, the water pump is flooded. Now when the pump starts, it cannot get a suction of water, but is the pump still flooded with water? I am not sure how it would go dry as that would mean their would need to be a total vacuum at the pump.
These units are pretty close to being 'positive displacement' pumps so they will push water out.. in any event I'd worry about heat from friction without the steady supply of intake water.

Certainly check your impeller for peace of mind... or change it, for that matter, for the same reason..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-05-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough

Letting a raw-water-cooled Volvo MD 17C freeze in fresh water is one way of nearly wrecking a motor. The aft barrel cracked, and still drips a wee bit, but it survived.
I was lucky.
Old 03-09-2012

MitchM is on a distinguished road

here's a great other way to buy yourself a new prop shaft key , prop shaft coupler, and gearbox, while w rrecking your summer vacation ...:

run your faithful OEM diesel engine for 30 years, ignoring its ever-increasing noise, as it vibrates its engine mounts down to thin shreds and throws off your prop shaft alignment so that your p shaft is whining, out of alignment and stressing against its retaining key.... then ignore the weird noises until your prop shaft coupling bolts break, your key shreds itself and your prop shaft, now unrestrained, floats out the back of your boat until it hits the rudder, at which time you realize you no longer have (1) any forward momentum (2) any rudder and (3) w ater pouring into your boat thru the stuffing box hole where your p shaft used to be firmly held. then you are forced to interrupt your cruise, because you have no workable engine or p- shaft or p shaft key. then hope to #$%^ that some mechanic in a foreign port you'll never visit again will interrupt his regular workload to (a) mill you a new prop shaft key (b) order you up a new coupler (c) fix your wrecked marine gearbox. and while you are at it, reject the mechanic's kind offer to replace your wornout engine mounts which is about $300 of cost and $150 of labor since every thing else is in pieces. and insist that he REINSTALL the same wornout engine mounts you've used for 30 years. and discount his advice to install a flexible coupling or aquadrive (recommended in case you are ever this stupid and cheap again) and further insult the local folks at the dock who allow as to how it might have been a good idea to at least CHECK the height of the engine mounts, and faceout of the p-shaft coupling, a t least every year ??

moral of the story:
check your prop shaft alignment and engine mount heights at least yearly. if the faceout on your p shaft coupling is increasing-- ie 'out' -- then do something about it or hire someone who knows what to do about it. or
figure out how to measure your own p - shaft face out and adjust your own engine mounts.

we try to help out visitors with mechanical troubles, but guys like this don't need to come back for the next century...
eherlihy and davidpm like this.
Old 03-14-2012

Sailingking22 is on a distinguished road

I should have read this forum before sailing but luckily none of that happened to me. I hear everyone and I mean everyone who sails saying change your impeller. I changed mine and the new one sucked.....so I took it apart again and but the old one back in. Works like a charm. Plus, they work fine even with tabs broken so I don't see the huge emphasis here. When the engine overheats....change it. I don't have a temp sensor on my YSM 12 but it shuts off automatically when it gets too hot. This is usually, when I leave the seacock closed or the mixing elbow on the exhaust gets clogged/blocked which seems to happen about every 24 hrs of run time. I hear everyone praising the Yanmar engines but I've never had more trouble with an engine. The one thing I would praise is I've been able to fix everything....pretty easy to work on. Well almost....currently I'm mounting a little 8 hp evinrude to the transom...not sure whats wrong with the Yanmar now. Won't spin. Probably water in the chamber which .... rebuild or replace with something better. It's on a Hunter 30 and only ran 4.5 knots. I'd love to get something that'll get me 6.0 knots.
Old 03-14-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Those little bits of rubber impeller are probably jammed in the input side of the heat exchanger waiting for the right time to make their presence known. Maybe an engine room flight plan/check list would help with over heating by ODF (oops dang forgot)

Last edited by Capt Len; 03-14-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingking22 View Post
I should have read this forum before sailing but luckily none of that happened to me. I hear everyone and I mean everyone who sails saying change your impeller. I changed mine and the new one sucked.....so I took it apart again and but the old one back in. Works like a charm. Plus, they work fine even with tabs broken so I don't see the huge emphasis here. When the engine overheats....change it. I don't have a temp sensor on my YSM 12 but it shuts off automatically when it gets too hot. This is usually, when I leave the seacock closed or the mixing elbow on the exhaust gets clogged/blocked which seems to happen about every 24 hrs of run time. I hear everyone praising the Yanmar engines but I've never had more trouble with an engine. The one thing I would praise is I've been able to fix everything....pretty easy to work on. Well almost....currently I'm mounting a little 8 hp evinrude to the transom...not sure whats wrong with the Yanmar now. Won't spin. Probably water in the chamber which .... rebuild or replace with something better. It's on a Hunter 30 and only ran 4.5 knots. I'd love to get something that'll get me 6.0 knots.
Sounds like you need a temp gauge or over heat alarm- give you some warning before the engine dies. Or install a flow alarm- check
https://www.aqualarm.net/comerus/sto...Categories.asp
and maybe install new mix elbow.
Old 03-15-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingking22 View Post
I should have read this forum before sailing but luckily none of that happened to me. I hear everyone and I mean everyone who sails saying change your impeller. I changed mine and the new one sucked.....so I took it apart again and but the old one back in. Works like a charm. Plus, they work fine even with tabs broken so I don't see the huge emphasis here.
Stay subscribed to this thread. Then you can let us all know how much you will spend on your future rebuild. Start saving for it now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.