Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: How to destroy a diesel in one easy step...

Maybe needs a bigger elbow and or more cooling water going thru it to keep the deposit from forming. If it were mine I'd put in a heat ex and solve it .Engine would probably thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

I just had a long conversation today with an experienced diesel mechanic and he said it is important to mix coolant 50/50 before putting it in the engine. He said if you pour in one gal of straight coolant the a gal of water it will not mix properly in the engine and the engine can rust and or freeze.
I thought that was not obvious.
Old 04-06-2012

CruiseICW is on a distinguished road

There is some good info on this thread, but some things on here make me shudder. My 20 HP Beta Marine diesel has 400 hours and I am doing everything I can to try and make her last many, many years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseICW View Post
There is some good info on this thread, but some things on here make me shudder. My 20 HP Beta Marine diesel has 400 hours and I am doing everything I can to try and make her last many, many years.
A collection of things that make you shudder is exactly what I was after in this thread. I wanted to collect the mistakes that are easily avoided that will suddenly and irreparably destroy the expensive iron monster in the bilge.

Congradulations on your new engine. Please do me a favor. Have a normal conversation down below while it's on. That's all. When you do, think of me wishing I had ear protection for my Perkins.

Try not to get too worried about your diesel and your maintenance of it. Whenever I read Nigel Caulder's books I feel like a bad parent. It seems the the ideal maintenance schedule would have me NEVER actually out cruising. Try and remember though that diesels really are robust. Good/fanatical maintenance may mean the difference between 7 and 10K hours, and shoddy vs decent maintenance may mean the difference between 4-7Khrs but they will all run for a long time on whatever modicum of maintenance and love you give them...... as long as you don't destroy them with a big mistake.

I try to learn what big mistakes to avoid and try to enjoy my boat and not sweat the details of maintenance too much.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-07-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
It was a little Kubota 2 cyl (Westerbeke). We sailed it into Bellingham, where I mocked up a new alternator bracket out of cardboard, took it to a local machine shop and they had a new replacement bracket cut out in about a half hour. Then I marinetexed the the timing belt cover back together and ran her that way for another four years.
Westerbeke / Universal takes Kubota engines, and marinizes them.. The Universal M25 was notorious for shaking the alternator, leading to a crack in the timing case and oil in the bilge

The whole story is listed here..
Old 04-25-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Treat it too good by running at low rpm. With a Yanmar, This will surely result in glazed piston walls and a low hour smoker requiring a hone and re-ring...ding, ding, ding.
Old 05-11-2012

montenido is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

The boat I just sold was prevented from overheating in the following way by the previous owners:

After forgeting to open the cooling seacock and causing some damage, they ALWAYS put the ignition keys on the handle for the seacock. That way you could not start the engine without touching (and opening) the cooling water. I adopted their practice and never forgot to open the cooling line before starting the motor. Also, I replace the impeller every year. Very cheap insurance against some of the problems discussed here.

Cheers, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 05-12-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

Running your engine with a bypass oil filter system. Take it out before it springs a leak and you destroy your engine while running with insufficient oil pressure.
Old 05-12-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I just had a long conversation today with an experienced diesel mechanic and he said it is important to mix coolant 50/50 before putting it in the engine. He said if you pour in one gal of straight coolant the a gal of water it will not mix properly in the engine and the engine can rust and or freeze.
I thought that was not obvious.
What if you pour in a quart of coolant, then a quart of water, then a quart of coolant, then a quart of water, then a quart of coolant...
Old 05-12-2012

MarcHall is on a distinguished road

Have your transmission seize outside of Ensenada on the way to Baja Naval for a bottom job.

Have the folks at Baja Naval remove the transmission and send it to the states to be rebuilt.

Have the folks at Baja Naval reinstall the transmission with the pressure plate installed backwards.

Run the engine for 16 hours.

Result 1 seized Yanmar 4JHE.

Try to get to the friendly folks at Baja Naval to cover the cost of the rebuilt diesel - fruitless.

Repower the boat with a new Yanmar 4JHE - a few thousand more then rebuild.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207