SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   diesel stop solenoid (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/85204-diesel-stop-solenoid.html)

dreamer2010 03-19-2012 08:43 PM

diesel stop solenoid

my fuel stop solenoid on my Volvo MD31a seems to be kaput. Looked up the price for a new one in U.S. and they want $ 435. Does anyone know if it can be fixed / cleaned ? Maybe a generic replacement.

Thanks!

Faster 03-19-2012 08:58 PM

Re: diesel stop solenoid

Can you tell if it's an electrical problem or is the valve physically 'stuck'? Are you sure you're getting voltage to the coil? If it's a sticky valve it might be repairable. If it's a self contained item that's not servicable and is specifically made to fit you might be out of luck... WWV! Welcome to the World of Volvo (parts prices)

On our engine (not Volvo) the solenoid is embedded in the injector pump and looks like a special part.

Found this, perhaps on a larger Volvo but it may be similar.. this looks removable and cleanable.. but remember I'm no Volvo mechanic!

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...r345/volvo.jpg

klem 03-19-2012 09:04 PM

Faster's advice is a good place to start.

The only thing that I would add is that if the cost really bugs you and it is not repairable, you could put in a manual pull cable. I have done this on two different engines and it only takes a $20 pto cable and a homemade bracket and you have a manual shutdown. The hardest part is isolating it properly so that it isn't really noisy. This option is definitely not for everyone and I am not familiar with your specific engine so it might not fit anyways.

jrd22 03-19-2012 11:52 PM

Oh man, I didn't need to hear this. I have an MD31A too, now I have to worry about mine going out and facing the BCTV (big check to Volvo). Unfortunately I would have to guess that there isn't a cheap alternative to the factory solenoid. I'll have to check mine but it seems like the solenoid is energized to run so you may be able to hook up some kind of manual cable like was suggested above to operate the engine (I'm a strong believer that all marine diesels should be able to run with no electric power) . I'll try to check it out tomorrow. Maybe someone else has done the manual conversion and will pipe in here.

erps 03-20-2012 12:07 AM

I second Klem's suggestion. I would probably install a manual pull cable as well. If the solenoid holds the fuel open when energized, as John indicated, I would pull off the solenoid and put a spring in there to hold the fuel lever "on" and install a shut off cable to overcome the spring pressure to shut it off.

Agree also with John that diesels should run without power if need be. Cummins motors in highway trucks had a solenoid energized to keep the motor running, but there was a manual override screw in case the solenoid went kaput.

dieselboy 03-20-2012 01:57 PM

Yup that is true on the older Mech fuel systems. The introduction of electronic controlled injectors rendered that all but gone these days.

I removed my fuel solenoid long ago. I just did not want the power drain while sailing.
In run mode the solenoid is energized all the time and pulls a lot of power. Id rather use that power for more important things like ....the radio of such. lol

dabnis 03-20-2012 02:36 PM

If you want to keep the electric solenoid you might want to check VW diesel parts. I had one fail and, IIRC, it was a separate unit that was easily replaced.

Paul T

Capt Len 03-22-2012 12:55 AM

If you go for a manual pull shut off check my comments in "how to destroy an engine" I don't consider myself a complete idiot but sometimes I wonder. I take solace in knowing those that can't, teach.

Rockter 03-23-2012 03:45 AM

The usual price-gouging from the ever-inventive Volvo. Same old story. Yea, an engine sold at a competitive price (otherwise it won't sell at all) but later they are waiting for you with these awful prices for spare parts.

Check that you are feeding 12V to the solenoid. Check with your multimeter. You should hear a "click" when you are feeding that to the solenoid. All it is is an electromagnet that when energised pushes (or pulls) against a spring and shuts off the fuel.

If it has failed, put a manual stop on it and tell Volvo to stuff their $435 electrical fuel shut-off solenoid up their collective rear.

What an utterly marvellous idea. Yea, a fuel shut off that needs electrical power, on a sailboat, in a seawater environment.

You have to have one for the starter motor, but no-where else.

Faster 03-23-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabnis (Post 848201)
If you want to keep the electric solenoid you might want to check VW diesel parts. I had one fail and, IIRC, it was a separate unit that was easily replaced.

Paul T

This might be especially true if Volvo uses a Bosch injection pump - the solenoids may be the same and any VW diesel would have one. Our VW setup looks quite different from the one pictured in my previous post, but that may not match the OP's engine either...